"THE CALIFORNIA WINE COUNTRY" Top 5 Page for this destination Napa by travelgourmet
Napa Travel Guide: 441 reviews and 1,237 photos
Until you visit this region of California and see for yourself the beauty of the Napa Valley that runs up Hwy 29 or the Silverado Trail from Napa to Calistoga, don't try to compare this area to any other. Yes, there are many other fine wine regions in California, other states, and around the world, but for the quality of the senses: sight, smell, taste, and even touch, Napa Valley rates very high, not only with me but with wine and dine connoisseurs throughout the world. I offer a few of the sights and delights to visit while in Napa Valley.
I have placed my entire Napa Valley tips under "Napa" because I feel that the world knows Napa Valley with the shortened "Napa". Yes, Virginia there is a Napa City and other wine growing regions in the area, but my tips and reviews are for those looking to enjoy a day or two sipping the nectar of the gods somewhere in Napa Valley and not a lecture in Wine Appreciation 102 or Map Quest 101. Hey, let's just call it "Up Hwy 29 and down the Silverado Trail". Well, maybe just a little of Wine Appreciation 102. Whatever, it still is one of the best wine growing/tasting/buying regions in California.
The grape vines of the Napa Valley are barren from December to February. As they start to bud and the green growth appears, the many fields of vines become active with workers who begin to trim and care for the vines as if they were children. When August arrives and the vines have been thinned out to allow greater grape growth, daily watch begins until the sugar levels say it is time to harvest, somewhere in the late August through October time frame. If you have time to go to and participate in a grape stomp, please do. You will have a great time and don't worry, the foot stomped grape juice won't be bottled to sell.
Grapes have many varieties and each is harvested at different times but all with the same result. We got wine. The process is partly handled by nature but not an easy task and the finished product can be spoiled without the proper steps taken and at the right time. See my travelogue on the "from the grapes come the wine" with photos taken by me of the fermentation of wines explanation display, courtesy of Sterling Vineyards 1111 Duaweal Lane Calistoga, CA 94515 Phone (800) 726-6136. Located in northern Napa Valley on Hwy 29.
- Pros:Wine tasting and fine dining at it's best
- Cons:Heavy traffic on the weekends
- In a nutshell:Beauty of the vine, not just the wine.
Most of you get your olive oil from a market. I really didn't put that much thought into olive oil except that extra... more travel advice
Up in smoke is actually up in fire! Nothing can hurt the beauty of an area and in this area the economy, as an out of... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Napa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE CALIFORNIA WINE COUNTRY"
- "Napa Valley - A Wine Lover's Paradise!"
- "Napa Valley"
- "Spectacular Napa!"
- "Napa: Gateway to America's Premier Wine Region"
- "Wine... wine... and more wine!"
- "The Creation of The Peruvian Wrap"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Napa
- Hotels in Napa
- Transportation in Napa
- Nightlife in Napa
- Restaurants in Napa
- Shopping in Napa
- Warnings and Dangers in Napa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Napa
- 29 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 46 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Napa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Napa
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues