"HIGH DESERT OUTPOST" Top 5 Page for this destination Mojave by travelgourmet
Mojave Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 149 photos
Mojave, hear that word and you think of the California desert. Well, you are right, but there is a town in the high desert called Mojave. This Mojave had its beginnings in 1876 with the building of a construction camp for the Southern Pacific Railroad. The claim to fame was the destination point for the famous "twenty-mule team" borax wagon route that started from the Harmony Borax Works in Death Valley over 165 miles away. That was a long haul for a mule team in 1884 that lasted until 1889. Mojave also played a major role in water for the Los Angeles area as it was the headquarters for the construction of the Los Angeles Aqueduct.
Being out in the high desert made for ideal conditions for aircraft and later spacecraft. Edwards Air Force base, where the USA western space shuttle landings would occur,is close by to Mojave. The Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake is also nearby. Aerospace is not through in Mojave as the airport at Mojave is not only an aircraft storage area (you can see the many aircraft from Hwy 14, but is also home to various companies and now the Mojave Spaceport, the location of the first private spaceflight, the launch of SpaceShipOne on June 21, 2004. Speaking of flight, Mojave was home to the Rutan Voyager, the first aircraft to fly around the world nonstop and unrefueled. So, to the untrained eye, Mojave doesn't have much going for it, but to the world of flight, this is one mighty important town. There is lots to do around the area of Mojave being only 20 miles to Tehachapi, 60 miles to Bakersfield, 70 miles to Barstow (the route to Las Vegas), 30 miles to Lancaster and then Palmdale with Los Angeles some 90 miles away. Many interesting sites are in the area as well, such as Red Rock Canyon or the wind turbines on the hills.
- Pros:A GREAT AREA FOR AEROSPACE INDUSTRY
- Cons:NOT MUCH TO DO IN TOWN
- In a nutshell:STILL THE BOONDOCKS BUT TRYING TO GROW
Billboards are for most advertising. Some cities use a monument sign to let those driving through know about their area.... more travel advice
Mike's Roadhouse Cafe is quite a place inside. I had visited the Mike's in Kettleman City, just off the I-5 travelling... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Mojave Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yubert's Mojave Page"
- "mafootje's new Mojave Page"
- "HIGH DESERT OUTPOST"
- "Tetreus's new Mojave Page"
- "MOJAVE- Californias Golden Cross Roads"
- "Mojave Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mojave
- Hotels in Mojave
- Transportation in Mojave
- Nightlife in Mojave
- Restaurants in Mojave
- Warnings and Dangers in Mojave
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mojave
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Mojave?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mojave
Photos in MojaveSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues