"MALIBU: CELEBRITY PACIFIC COASTLINE PLAYGROUND" Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu by travelgourmet
Malibu Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 706 photos
Most tourists to the Los Angeles area want to see the Pacific Ocean in person, with their feet in the water. One of the sought after places to slice sand is where surfing movies began with "Gidget", a 1959 movie starring Sandra Dee as Gidget and James Darren as Moondoggie. Of course, the movie was shot at Leo Carrillo State Beach about 15 miles north on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway), but the surfers like to congregate at the center of Malibu at the Malibu Pier area called Surfrider Beach. Park your vehicle and walk out on the pier and enjoy the fresh sea breeze and watch the surfers ride the waves.
The Pacific Ocean is a great sight for visitors to Los Angeles and within the greater area from Newport Beach to Malibu Beach and all seashore towns in-between, the sand and sea await. Malibu claims to have 27 miles of shore line views, but a lot of that view is blocked by the homes
along the shore. That's where the Hollywood stars come out at night on the sand to look up to the heavenly stars. Great restaurants are located along the shores of Malibu. If you visit, rent a vehicle and drive the PCH from Santa Monica to past the Ventura County line. You will see wonderful seashore homes and sandy beaches with the sparkling blue Pacific Ocean just off the highway.
One of the main attractions is the J. Paul Getty Villa Museum on PCH. The admission is free,but a reservation is required to get on the grounds. Up the road from the Malibu Pier is Point Dume, where you can hike up to the top of the bluff and get a panorama of coastline out to Santa Catalina Island. One of the best beaches on the coast is Zuma Beach, just past Point Dume on PCH. Before Leo Carrillo State Beach and the Ventura County Line. If you put a blanket down on the sand and stay a while, you will most likely see the dolphins playful jumps just beyond the breaking waves. Zuma Beach is a good smooth sandy beach. One of the last beaches in the area, past Leo Carillo is Sycamore Cove Beach which has fire pits, picnic benches, and restrooms on the ocean side of PCH with a campground on the mountain side of PCH. Have fun in the sun and visit the Pacific Ocean and slice sand along with the Hollywood stars on the Malibu coastline.
- Pros:Great ocean front community with a wonderful pier to watch the surfers.
- Cons:The many beach side mansions block the ocean view
- In a nutshell:Laid back surfer style living and home to the stars.
.From Malibu to Calabasas on the valley side sits the main mountain pass called Malibu Canyon Road. Taking PCH northwest... more travel advice
NOW CLOSED. Lack of being open all year round and the walk to the end of the pier may have doomed this domed location.... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Malibu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Malibu"
- "Malibu! Sweet Livin!"
- "MALIBU: CELEBRITY PACIFIC COASTLINE PLAYGROUND"
- "THE GETTY VILLA MALIBU VIEWS"
- "Beautiful Malibu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malibu
- Hotels in Malibu
- Transportation in Malibu
- Nightlife in Malibu
- Restaurants in Malibu
- Shopping in Malibu
- Warnings and Dangers in Malibu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malibu
- 14 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Malibu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malibu
- Posted in Travel Maui Forum "Re: best tour to pearl harbor"
- updated a Malibu Travel Page "MALIBU: CELEBRITY PACIFIC COASTLINE PLAYGROUND"
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Malibu tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Neptune's Net hello to VT member "pbuyse2""
- Uploaded a Video to Malibu
- Wrote a Review MALIBU CANYON ROAD DRIVE in Malibu Off The Beaten Path
Videos in MalibuSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues