"LAKE ELSINORE, MORE THAN JUST A LAKE" Lake Elsinore by travelgourmet
Lake Elsinore Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 63 photos
Lake Elsinore was only called Elsinore when a name was chosen in 1883. It became a city in 1888 and is a part of Riverside County in Southern California. Some of the buildings in the downtown area have been renewed and are registered national historic sites. The lake is the main draw and is the largest freshwater lake in Southern California.
Going back in history, the first know dwellers were the Payomkowishum or "People of the West", native Americans, called the Luiseño by the Spanish in the 1700's. 1884 saw the railroad building a line with a station in Elsinore. Mineral springs drew the Hollywood crowd during the 1920's and the lake became the vacation getaway for Hollywood and homes were built around the lake. But, the lake dried up and years later in the 1960's the lake was brought back and the word, Lake, was added to the name Elsinore in 1972.
Today, Lake Elsinore is a 3,300 acre recreational lake with water activities and beaches. One of the first shopping outlet malls is here in Lake Elsinore. A minor league single A baseball team, The Lake Elsinore Storm, make their home here at the Lake Elsinore Diamond. Today, the Lake Elsinore Valley Chamber of Commerce is betting on a great future with the theme "Dream Extreme". The extreme could become reality as more tourists find this recreational treasure in Southern California.
- Pros:A quaint resort style of town.
- Cons:I see a lake, but no swimming allowed?
- In a nutshell:A nice place to have a beach and recreation area.
All Aboard! Clicketyclack on the railroad track. Elsinore was the town and a train ran through it in 1882. The train... more travel advice
BATTER UP! That's the cry of the umpire for a baseball game to start the game. At the state of the art baseball diamond... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Lake Elsinore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LAKE ELSINORE, MORE THAN JUST A LAKE"
- "Yubert's Lake Elsinore Page"
- "Go Sky Diving!"
- "Sxybreezy304's new Lake Elsinore Page"
- "Oct. 30th, 2006 - Lake Elsinore"
- "Basaic Lake Elsinore Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Elsinore
- Hotels in Lake Elsinore
- Shopping in Lake Elsinore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Elsinore
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Lake Elsinore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Elsinore
Photos in Lake ElsinoreSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues