"CARMEL-by-the-SEA" Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea by travelgourmet

Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,055 photos

STORYBOOK TOWN

This town is the home of former mayor/actor/director Clint Eastwood, and you may still find him walking around his Mission Ranch Inn. Carmel-by-the-Sea is and has been one of the top destinations for weekend getaways in California. Many don't realize that the name Carmel is for three distinct areas of Carmel. The village is called Carmel-by-the-Sea with many tourists calling it Carmel and has the shopping street, reataurants, beach, and the San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission. The Carmel Valley is nearby with the wineries and fine resaurants

The style of the town is done in a storybook old English manner and the many boutiques and shops are one of a kind in nature. The restaurants are all top quality and no chain restaurant is in sight. Keeping it simple and quaint , there are no street signals or even addresses on the main street, Ocean.
B & B's are plentiful in town and the ocean and pines makes for a picture perfect setting. Make sure you get down to the beach area for wonderful vistas and walking paths. The world famous 17 Mile Drive, has one of it's entrances in Carmel. I have a travelogue on the drive, check it out.

• Pros:Relax and stroll, take in the towns ambiance
  • Cons:Hard to find parking for over 90 minutes in town
  • In a nutshell:A must see
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2012

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM

my two brief stops whilst the ladies were shopping, confirms your always lucid observations ;-)))

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Larry,I said I would return so here I am.I would love to go to all the restaurants they look and sound divine.Clint Eastwoods Mission Ranch is amazing.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Dorrise

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2011 at 9:37 PM

As usual Larry, your restaurant choices are always welcomed! The San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission looks fantastic and would be on my list of places to see here! Excellent page!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Oh WoW Larry! I love this place! :o) What a gorgeous opening pic! I wanna go right now!! :o) ...and I had to stop reading those restaurant tips...wow, they look good! Ann xx

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Makes note, must keep my partner away from this place...I can't afford it!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Great tips..said before, but worth saying again:):) Carmel by the Sea looks exactly like a place I would enjoy living. Must be nice that you can visit frequently. Janet

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Outstanding! See--as weird as it sounds, this is the sort of place that I really pefer to spend my time. (And the cheese bread has me drooling. Is there a pub or two nestled somewhere between those gourmet restaurants?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Nice tips Larry

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Fabulous destination. Wishing you and your family a happy New Year.

• Jun 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM

It's good, it's real good. But be prepared to buy a small car for the same price. Save it for a special occasion.

travelgourmet Visits Here Frequently!

travelgourmet

“"It isn't where you've traveled; it's how you arrived."”

Badges & Stats in Carmel-by-the-Sea

Have you been to Carmel-by-the-Sea?

Latest Activity in Carmel-by-the-Sea