"CALIFORNIA HWY 395 SWEET SPOT, BISHOP" Top 5 Page for this destination Bishop by travelgourmet
Bishop Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 131 photos
California Highway 395 is said by some to be the back road to Lake Tahoe or Reno, Nevada. Others say it's a long way to anywhere road. Many claim it to be the road to the greatest fresh water fishing. Skiers would say it's the fast road to Mammoth, California. Campers will say it's the eastern entrance, summer only, to Yosemite. Hwy 395 is all that and more.
The center of California's eastern most highway has the town of Bishop split right down the middle of the road. Bishop is the sweet spot of Hwy 395. Location is everything and Bishop has it. Traveling between Reno, Nevada and Los Angeles, California, Bishop marks the half way stop. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner stop. Gasoline stop. Rest or overnight stop. The beauty of the area with the majestic mountains blending with the clear blue skies above to the clear blue lakes below is worth the stop.
I hope I made that clear enough. From the spring green of the trees to the brilliant fall colors of yellows and golds, nature spent time in this area and left it's mark. Hiking, climbing, biking, and horseback riding are among the many outdoor activities available in the Bishop area. Photo jaunts are commonplace. But then, fishing might be number one. After all, this is trout country.
- Pros:Breathing in nature at it's best.
- Cons:Not spending enough time to truly enjoy the area.
- In a nutshell:Worthy of being a destination, not just a stop.
Just 40 minutes north of Bishop on Hwy 395, about 2 miles south of Mammoth Lakes is Convict Lake Rd. turnoff, to the... more travel advice
Just 4 1/2 miles N.E. of Bishop, California on Hwy 6 sits a rebuilt railroad museum and historical site. All kinds of... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Bishop Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bishop - Confluence of Rednecks and Mountain Folk"
- "Bishop - Portal to the Outdoors"
- "CALIFORNIA HWY 395 SWEET SPOT, BISHOP"
- "Bishop, on Highway 395"
- "Small tourist town with great hiking"
- "Desert, Ice, Water & Snow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bishop
- Hotels in Bishop
- Transportation in Bishop
- Nightlife in Bishop
- Restaurants in Bishop
- Shopping in Bishop
- Warnings and Dangers in Bishop
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bishop
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Bishop?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bishop
Photos in BishopSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues