""26 miles across the sea"" Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon by travelgourmet
Avalon Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 404 photos
Santa Catalina has one town, Avalon. Twenty-six miles across the sea from Los Angeles, California, it beckons to me. My credit to the writer of the song who made us want to see what Catalina was all about. Home to few, but seen by many, Avalon has the typical tourist shops with a little bit of something for everyone. What makes Avalon unique, is that you are on an island off the coast of southern California, that has buffalo roaming the hills and no cars or billboards to be seen. The only cars are right in town and they are limited to only the residents, and the number is very low. You can tour the area by electric carts if you like and see how relaxed the life style is on Catalina.
Good hotels and good restaurants are in this walking town. Beaches are few and the best is on the other side of the Casino. Not a gambling casino, but a beautiful round structure with the history of Catalina waiting inside for you to see. Many pictures from the early days up to today. Take the glass bottom boat ride to see the amazing kelp beds flow beneath your boat, filled with fish that swim right up to the viewing glass. Many things to do, all within walking distance. See a garden, go snorkeling, bicycle, or just sit and relax and take in the sights.
- In a nutshell:A relief from the hustle of the mainland
The yellow Victorian Hotel just steps from the beach area in the center of town beckons one to the bygone days of Avalon... more travel advice
Swimming in the ocean has a nice relaxed feel to it. You feel like one with nature. The problem in Avalon or anywhere... more travel advice
- See All ECLECTIC SHOPPING
- THIS IS LOOKOUT COT
- See All THE BELLS OF ADA WRIGLEY
- See All SO MANY GOLF CARTS, THERE MUST BE GOLF
- See All FISH & CHIPS ON THE GREEN PLEASURE PIER
Written May 29, 2009
CACTI LOVE TO NEEDLE YOU
Written May 30, 2009
VIEWS FROM WITHIN THE SEMI-SUB
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Avalon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Avalon~Catalina Island"
- ""26 miles across the sea""
- "Kristara's new Avalon Page"
- "Catalina Island"
- "Avalon on Catalina Island"
- "Gypsy_King's new Avalon Page"
- "Alluring Avalon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avalon
- Hotels in Avalon
- Transportation in Avalon
- Nightlife in Avalon
- Restaurants in Avalon
- Shopping in Avalon
- Warnings and Dangers in Avalon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avalon
- 29 Reviews
- 110 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Avalon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avalon
- Posted in Travel San Diego Forum "Re: visiting san diego"
- Commented on one of travelgourmet's Avalon tips
- updated a Avalon Travel Page ""26 miles across the sea""
- Wrote a Review VICTORIAN STYLE HOTEL IN THE... in Avalon Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "VICTORIAN STYLE HOTEL IN THE CENTER OF TOWN"
- Uploaded a Video to Avalon
Photos in AvalonSee All Photos (110)
Videos in AvalonSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues