Skagway Things to Do Tips by travelgourmet
Skagway Things to Do: 95 reviews and 175 photos
DON'T MISS THE TRAIN
A DO NOT MISS ADVENTURE. If you only do one thing in Skagway, it is to go on the White Pass & Yukon Route, of The Scenic Railway of the World. This narrow gauge railway. built in 1898, runs on 3 foot wide tracks, instead of the normal 4 feet, 8.5 inch tracks of most railroads. It is truly a spectacular ride and the train has a feel of the early days of railroading. What child in all of us doesn't get a thrill out of riding the rails.
The tracks wind up the mountain pass to Glacier. Try to go when the snow is still on the mountain by the train tracks. May is a very good month for seeing things still covered in snow. The views are awesome. The ride is about 2 1/2 hours, so if you came by cruise ship, you have lots of time to visit the town. See my travelogue for more pictures of this amazing ride.
Address: End of town on Broadway
Directions: Straight up the street from the cruise ship docks.
Phone: Toll Free 1-800-343-7373
UP,UP, AND AWAY
If you arrive by cruise ship, then the sound of helicopter blades whirring will be one of the first things you hear as you debark. This is the start of the Alaskan gold strike, the gold in the tourists pockets. The landing area for the helicopter tours is right in front of the cruise ships that line the shore. Line up fast because this is one of the highlights of Skagway.
The Helicopter tour of the glacier field is only topped by the fact that you land at the base of an ice field and walk on the glacier. This is one great ride. Fifteen minutes in the air, twenty minutes on the glacier, and fifteen minutes back to Skagway. The pilots looked a little young to me, but then I must look a little old to them. The glacier is located in the Juneau Icefield within the Tongass National Forest.
Address: Right in front of the cruise docks.
Directions: Center stage, in front of the pier tie-ups to the town of Skagway.
Phone: toll free number 1-866-683-2900
More Reviews (2)
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Skagway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Skagway, Alaska"
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Skagway"
- "Half the Year Here................"
- "At the foot of the Chilkoot trail"
- "Skagway - Boomtown of the Klondike Gold Rush"
- "SKAGWAY, GOLD RUSH COUNTRY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skagway
- Hotels in Skagway
- Transportation in Skagway
- Nightlife in Skagway
- Restaurants in Skagway
- Shopping in Skagway
- Warnings and Dangers in Skagway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skagway
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Skagway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skagway
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues