"MAUI "No Ka 'Oi"" Maui by travelgourmet
Maui Travel Guide: 1,886 reviews and 5,612 photos
Wowee! Back in the 60's that was the cry of the wild. Today, Maui is just the best. Why? Where else is their an Island that offers all of your senses a treat at the same time. Think about it.
In Maui, the magic begins the second you breathe in the intoxicating breeze that caresses your very soul. Go with the flow of your inner self and forget that thousands of others are feeling the same thing you are, and most of them don't even realize it.
Yes, a lot of tourists, but there is a spot somewhere just for you on Maui. Take the winding Hana Highway from the airport at Kahului to Hana and the pools at Ohe'o with over 50 one lane bridges and is a 3-4 hour drive one way. Try the before sunrise drive to the top of Haleakala, over 10,000 feet in the air. Make sure that you can physically take the altitude. If not sure, see your doctor and ask. The air is thin and breathing can be difficult for some. You can get lost along the river's edge in the Iao Valley. There is a paved path in the park to enjoy seeing the mountain needle and being up close to the tropical plants and trees in all their splendor.
Have fun and food in the old port Lahaina Town, day or night. Just lay on the sandy beach and listen to the sounds of paradise or dive/snorkel down and see the tropical fish of Hawaii at Molokini crater, a short boat trip off shore. So many great restaurants on Maui, but Mama's Fish House in Paia is true Hawaiiana. Mama's may be expensive but a memory of Maui will forever be etched within you.
All ages find Maui's charm. It not only comes from the kama'ainas (locals) who survive because of the tourists, with their warm smiles and helpful tips, but from the tourists as well, who have the smile of contentment and the voice of reason with each "Aloha". Paradise found. Chill out!
The beauty of Maui, rain or shine, always is there.
Hawaii has some of the best sunsets in the world. Every afternoon, you look to see if the clouds are just right for a brighter and more beautiful sunset to enjoy.
- Pros:Everything you can see, taste, feel.
- Cons:Having to leave.
- In a nutshell:Maui "No Ka 'Oi", being there is enough.
The silversword plant grows only in the cinders of Haleakala crater. The leaf of a silversword is covered with a dense... more travel advice
Haleakala (Ha-lay-ah-ka-lah) Crater is a reminder that there must be something out there, bigger and better than man.... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Maui Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Maui Page"
- "whitneyone's Maui"
- "Visiting the Valley Isle"
- "Magnificent Maui"
- "Aloha Nui Loa...Fondest Regards...Much Love"
- "Visiting Hawaii's Valley Island: Maui"
- "The injured travelers guide to Maui"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maui
- Hotels in Maui
- Transportation in Maui
- Nightlife in Maui
- Restaurants in Maui
- Shopping in Maui
- Warnings and Dangers in Maui
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maui
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 238 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Maui?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maui
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 30 reviews, 198 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues