"ALBEROBELLO, LOST BUT FOUND" Top 5 Page for this destination Alberobello by travelgourmet
Alberobello Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 113 photos
The mystery is gone. The word is out. There is more to see in Italy than Rome, Florence, Venice, Tuscany, Sicily, Lake Como, Amalfi Coast. There is Puglia, and the town of Alberobello, the home of the trulli. The trulli are actually the homes of the townspeople. Now, the rest of the world is beginning to know about how these odd shaped, but artistic dwellings came to be.
As for the true origin, there are mixed reviews, with some saying 1,000's of years old and others saying around the fifteenth century, AD. In fact, the original trulli were disposable homes, yesterdays today enviornmentally perfect structures.
The buildings are so unique, with the rounded homes and cone shaped grey stone roofs that originally were stacked one stone by one, till the top cap stone was in place. The reason for this has been described as " a way to tear down if need be".
The story goes that in the middle ages, fifthteenth century, It seems as if a tax was levied on anyone who built a home on the Kings land, so to save the tax, the Trulli simply built a home out of stone that had no mortar. If the tax collector, was spotted coming to their homes on the King's land, an alarm was sounded, and presto, no homes, no tax. When the tax collector past, without collecting a tax, the trulli rebuilt.
Today, no longer the King's land, cement mortar is used to make the homes a permanent structure.
- Pros:The townspeople are so friendly
- Cons:The townspeople are getting wise to tourists
- In a nutshell:The emergence of the past to the present.
Many trulli are topped off with a crown, called the "Pinaccolo" or pinnacle, either in a ball shape which some claim is... more travel advice
travelgourmet's Related Pages
Alberobello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alberobello, where a Trullo is Home"
- "ALBEROBELLO, LOST BUT FOUND"
- "The Trulli of Alberobello"
- "Trulli amazing Alberobello"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alberobello
- Hotels in Alberobello
- Transportation in Alberobello
- Restaurants in Alberobello
- Shopping in Alberobello
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Alberobello
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Alberobello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alberobello
Photos in AlberobelloSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Westlake Village Intro, 28 reviews, 180 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 29 reviews, 148 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napa Intro, 29 reviews, 139 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Avalon Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 26 reviews, 99 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 14 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 20 reviews, 71 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Obispo Intro, 15 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehachapi Intro, 15 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Temecula Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues