"Meandering alleyways and spreading vines.........." Freinsheim by leics
Freinsheim Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 23 photos
Freinsheim has been a settlement for thousands of years...a pre-Roman urn cemetery has been found, as well as Roman remains.
It's a lovely little town, still fully-enclosed by its sandstone town walls (first built in the 1500s, destroyed in the late 1600s and later reconstructed). They are almost 1.3 kilometres long, and walking alongside them is an unmissable experience. Narrow alleyways, wider ones, sudden glimpses of tucked-away gardens and courtyards, vines hanging down, watchtowers, ancient beams and doorways........incredibly evocative of what once was.
Freinsheim within its walls retains its Medieval layout...narrow winding streets around the circumference of the walls, a couple of wider streets converging on the small, pretty marketplace, a jumble of old buildings and red-tiled roofs, tiny windows and hidden courtyards.
Wine and apples......that's what Freinsheim is about. Wine and apples, good rural cooking and beautiful old buildings.
- Pros:History, wine, cafes, alleyways......
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Meandering alleyways and spreading vines..........
An interesting and lovely old building indeed...a traditional workers' house, apparently, though I suspect more than one... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Freinsheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meandering alleyways and spreading vines.........."
- Create a Freinsheim Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Freinsheim
- 3 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (632)
Have you been to Freinsheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Freinsheim
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues