"It's a joke.........." Hering by leics
Hering Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 17 photos
The name of this pretty villages derives from 'herr' (master)....something to do with servants working for the master (most probably the master who lived in Veste Otzberg, the castle above the village).
But someone at some time in the past found the potential pun amusing, so the village now has a herring (fish) in its coat of arms. Hoho.
But it really is a very pretty place, with brightly whitewashed church, well-tended houses and lovely gardens.
Veste Otzberg, the castle, stands above the village on what was once a volcano and is now a basalt outcrop. It has superb views over the surrounding countryside.......a truly excellent place to build a stronghold!
As well as the castle (which has a truly excellent and very cheap cafe in its interesting museum) you can wander the village to find the Otzburg basalt columns. They are some of what is left of the truly ancient and very-long-extinct Otzburg volcano. The columns are hexagonal in form, just like the ones at the famous Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland.
- Pros:The castle and museum
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:A fishy place....
Hering lies within a Geo-Naturpark..........one of the UNESCO Network of Geoparks. The Otzburg geology and consequent... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Hering Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Hering
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (548)
Have you been to Hering?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hering
Photos in HeringSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue