"Shades of the 'Little House' books..." Top 5 Page for this destination Sturbridge by leics
Sturbridge Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 79 photos
I went to Sturbridge, Mass, with my son's fiancee specifically to see Old Sturbridge Village...a 'living' museum, with original buildings brought in from the surrounding area, re-erected and set out as they would have been in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Modern Sturbridge is fairly small, set in rural Massachusetts and surrounded by woodland. There's a lot to enjoy in the area and it's very pretty.
But Old Sturbridge Village must be the highlight. It's an extensive site, with schoolhouse, shops, farm buildings, workshops, meeting-house, bank, carding mill and more. We spent 3 hours there but did not manage to see all of it..it's definitely a whole-day trip, with food and drinks available if you don't want to take your own picnic (the site is set in woodland, with a rather lovely lake and covered bridge).
As with all 'living' museums, it is the costumed 'interpreters' who really make the difference. I know a little American history but much more about UK history, so it was very helpful for me to have people who could explain things...and they were almost all keen enthusiasts, more than willing to answer questions and talk about their 'work'.
As the museum website says:
>Authentically costumed staff, called history interpreters, carry out the daily activities of an early 19th-century community. Here you may wander country roads and visit with a farmer plowing fields, listen to the blacksmith's rhythmic hammering, or smell the aroma of bread baking in a fireplace oven. With four unique seasons and more than 200 acres to explore, there is always something new to see at Old Sturbridge Village.<
I especially enjoyed the farms. As a child I loved the 'Little House on the Prairie' series by Laura Ingalls Wilder (the TV series was rubbish in comparison with the books) and, although I know none were set in New England, this museum did very much take me back into Laura's childhood.
And the animals were fascinating too....two breeds of cattle, Linebacks (I'd never heard of them) and beautiful glossy chestnut Devons (a 'rare breed' I know of from the UK), sheep, turkeys...and (although not part of the museum) chipmunks! It may seem a bit weird to those from the US that I found seeing wild chipmunks exciting, but I really did! :-)
My daughter's fiancee told me that a most-unusual tornado had recently whipped through the Sturbridge area but it wasn't until we drove through its path (see photo below) that we realised how much damage it had done. Nor did we realise how near it had actually come to Old Sturbridge Village until we were exploring there: the tornado's path was barely 500 yards from one of the farm buildings. The museum could so easily have been totally destroyed.
We had an excellent visit and I wish we could have spent longer there (and explored Sturbridge and the surrounding area), but we had to return the car and wanted to be back in time (we made the right decision because there was a huge traffic jam on the interstate which slowed us down substantially).
I'll make a specific tip about Old Sturbridge Village...it is a most definite 'must-see' if you are in the area.
- Pros:Fascinating historical site.
- Cons:None that I came across.
leics' Related Pages
Sturbridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "1830 Massachusetts Village Life Revisited"
- "Interesting Sturbridge, MA"
- "Shades of the 'Little House' books..."
- "vrage's new Sturbridge Page"
- "The Quaint Town of Sturbridge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sturbridge
- Hotels in Sturbridge
- Transportation in Sturbridge
- Restaurants in Sturbridge
- Shopping in Sturbridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Sturbridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sturbridge
- 1 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (754)
Have you been to Sturbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sturbridge
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues