"Amish ice-cream..." Kalona by leics
Kalona Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 45 photos
We didn't stay long in Kalona...it was, mostly, shut.
We pulled in a quick visit on our way back to Iowa City, on a very hot day which had involved (for me) almost 100 miles of driving on my first day of driving-an-automatic-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road. So I was tired, a little tetchy, worried about how I'd park the car in IC (needn't have worried, it was dead easy)... I just wanted to get back to the hotel really...
But my companion wanted to see Kalona, one of the furthest-West Amish colonies, so that's where we went.
It's all very clean, and very tidy, and very neatly laid-out. Kalona was first established as an Amish settlement in the 1840s and is now home to a growing antiques, handicrafts and local produce 'industry'.
My companion bought something from the general store, and was intrigued to see that transaction rung up on a huge wooden mechanical till, the taxes calculated by using a convenient table.
We both had ice-creams from Yotty's: they were very pleasant, and very good.
We wandered a little around the centre, looking at the quilting patterns which have been laid in coloured cement blocks....the 'quilting trail'...and gazing into shop windows.
We should have gone to Kalona Historic Village, although it wasn't open by the time we arrived anyway. So we didn't...and anyway, even if it had been open, by that time we were both too hot, too tired and too tetchy.
Next time I visit Iowa City, exploring Kalona properly is a 'must'. Although I acknowledge that it is as visitor-focused as many another Amish community, it is still fascinating.
If you can't visit, Amish produce and crafts are also regularly available at Iowa City's magnificent twice-weekly farmers' market.
- Pros:Some interesting historical bits, good produce & crafts
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Amish community
If it hadn't been so hot we would have done much more of this. Although the buildings are not especially old, they are... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Kalona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Pioneer Spirit Alive in Kalona"
- "Kalona-Horse & Buggies"
- "Amish ice-cream..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kalona
- Transportation in Kalona
- Restaurants in Kalona
- Shopping in Kalona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kalona
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Kalona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kalona
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues