"For the Mall and the museum...." Coralville by leics

Coralville Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos

Coralville is a small settlement which is now joined to Iowa City, an area of rather nice (from a UK perspective) green suburbia, with wooden houses and quiet streets, some large ponds and open spaces. And a large-ish shopping mall.

The settlement started off in the mid-1800s when a dam was constructed on the Iowa river and mills were built to use the power generated by that dam. Its name...which initially seemed rather odd to me, given that Iowa is entirely landlocked...comes from the fossilised coral beds which are found in limestone along the river.

I see from its website that Coralville now has around 18000 inhabitants, and is one of the top 50 fastest-growing settlements in Iowa state (does that mean much, I wonder?).

What I saw of Coralville, largely from the bus, seemed very pleasant indeed. Next time I visit Iowa I may well explore further...

Not being a shopper, I had no intention of visiting Coralville for theCoral Ridge Mall...in fact, I had no real intention of visiting it at all. But my US phone did not work and I needed to sort it out, the nearest AT&T shop was in the Mall..so I took the bus from Iowa City.

Buses run regularly throughout the day, which is useful (Iowa City does not have a huge amount of shopping opportunities). And the Coral Ridge Mall is really rather pleasant, sensibly divided into segments for clothing stores, household stores, a food court and so on. So much easier to navigate than UK shopping centres (our equivalent of malls), which have shops randomly spread out throughout their often huge spaces.

There's a theatre and a small indoor ice rink, and the Mall also houses the Iowa Children's Museum. I didn't go into the latter but, from looking through the windows, it's obviously a very hands-on experience and certainly the many children I saw inside seemed to be having an excellent (and educational) time.

So, if you are in the area, it may well be worth stopping by the Mall...for the museum for something to eat (plenty of options in the food court) or to stock up on groceries from the large Target store inside.

• Pros:Pleasant, green place with good shopping.
  • Cons:None that I came across
  • In a nutshell:For the Mall and for the museum
  • Last visit to Coralville: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 26, 2012

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Another nice review! Coralville Lake (made by damming the Iowa River) is also big attraction for boating, fishing, camping, picnicking and other outdoor recreation. Lakes being a little scarce in my part of the state, it was a big deal to be taken here or to Lake MacBride (right next door) for an afternoon of swimming!

• leics's Profile Photo
      Mar 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM

If i ever return I'll have to explore options for getting there. OK..I'll hire another car. :-)

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Coralville

Have you been to Coralville?

Latest Activity in Coralville