"A wealthy place, methinks..." Woodstock by leics
Woodstock Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
....and one in which it was almost impossible to find somewhere to park. so I ended up parking 'illegally' in the headmaster's spot of Woodstock Academy school which adjoins the town green.
I felt so guilty about doing this that I spent very little time exploring Woodstock, which is beautifully set amongst mature trees and manicured lawns.
First settled in 1686, Woodstock was originally called New Roxbury (because the settlers came from nearby Roxbury). It changed its name to Woodstock (also a place in England) in 1690.
The main reason I stopped was that I had spotted an interesting-looking building.....Roseland Cottage. It turns out that my instincts were correct: this rather lovely mid-Victorian house (in no way can it be called a 'cottage') was built in 1846 for the very wealthy businessman Henry C Bowen (a local boy made good in dry goods and publishing). He used Roseland as his summer house, entertaining US presidents
Ulysses S. Grant, Benjamin Harrison, and Rutherford B. Hayes amongst many others.......Bowen is known as the '4th of July man' because he instituted huge 4th July celebrations in Woodstock, with fireworks and pink lemonade and speeches and lots of jollity.
Roseland Cottage is very pink indeed, with gingerbread house features and lots of chimneys (classic Victorian Gothic). There are also formal gardens (Bowen gave the associated park to the people of Woodstock). It's open to the public but I didn't go in. Next time! :-)
- Pros:Very pretty indeed, lots of trees and history.
- Cons:Extremely difficult to park.
leics' Related Pages
Woodstock Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Woodstock
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (839)
Have you been to Woodstock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woodstock
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 328 photos, 13 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 259 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 44 reviews, 253 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 59 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 13 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues