"A little seaside town....with BOOKS!!!" Niantic by leics

Niantic Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 35 photos

I didn't explore Niantic very much...it was a brief stop on the way to Mystic.

The main purpose of the visit was what makes Niantic pretty special, imo. It has the most *wonderful* secondhand book place. Actually, it has three secondhand book places, all belonging to the same people. The main one is about a mile from downtown Niantic, but there are two 'subsidiary' bookshops in downtown itself.

I'll write more about the main Bookbarn in my tip.suffice to say that it has thousands of books, lovely gardens, coffee and cakes, play equipment for the children, cats, goats and a super sense of humour. :-)

As for Niantic itself: it seemed to me a typical small coastal town. There's a longish stretch of sandy beach (unfortunately divided from the town by the Amtrak railway line, although I assume that is crossable) and is apparently popular for swimming, sailing and fishing. The nuclear power plant at Waterford is visible from Niantic, which makes it ...erm..interesting.

I can't really say much about Niantic because apart from spending time at the Bookbarn all we did was wander a for a little while along Niantic's pleasant main street, trying to find the cafe we wanted. We found it but it was closed (for holidays, I think). So we ended up just getting food and a coffee from a little bakery which was open (it was a Sunday).

If you're in the area and have any interest in books whatsoever (or want to sell yours) then Niantic is an absolute must.

• Pros:Books, books, books.....
  • Cons:Most books are some way out of town....
  • In a nutshell:More than just another coastal settlement....it has BOOKS! :-)
  • Last visit to Niantic: Jul 2013
  • Intro Written Aug 2, 2013

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM

This is the cutest little place. Hubby and I stumbled on it years ago by accident and loved it.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Aug 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I thought it was wonderful. It was just a pity I couldn't buy any books...I didn't dare start looking! But my son & daughter-in-law, who live in New Haven, certainly do.... :-)

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo
      Aug 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Yeah, I had that problem myself. I found the cutest bookshop in Ballarat. I wanted to take so many books home but the weight was too much.

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Niantic

Have you been to Niantic?

Latest Activity in Niantic