"A little seaside town....with BOOKS!!!" Niantic by leics
Niantic Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 35 photos
I didn't explore Niantic very much...it was a brief stop on the way to Mystic.
The main purpose of the visit was what makes Niantic pretty special, imo. It has the most *wonderful* secondhand book place. Actually, it has three secondhand book places, all belonging to the same people. The main one is about a mile from downtown Niantic, but there are two 'subsidiary' bookshops in downtown itself.
I'll write more about the main Bookbarn in my tip.suffice to say that it has thousands of books, lovely gardens, coffee and cakes, play equipment for the children, cats, goats and a super sense of humour. :-)
As for Niantic itself: it seemed to me a typical small coastal town. There's a longish stretch of sandy beach (unfortunately divided from the town by the Amtrak railway line, although I assume that is crossable) and is apparently popular for swimming, sailing and fishing. The nuclear power plant at Waterford is visible from Niantic, which makes it ...erm..interesting.
I can't really say much about Niantic because apart from spending time at the Bookbarn all we did was wander a for a little while along Niantic's pleasant main street, trying to find the cafe we wanted. We found it but it was closed (for holidays, I think). So we ended up just getting food and a coffee from a little bakery which was open (it was a Sunday).
If you're in the area and have any interest in books whatsoever (or want to sell yours) then Niantic is an absolute must.
- Pros:Books, books, books.....
- Cons:Most books are some way out of town....
- In a nutshell:More than just another coastal settlement....it has BOOKS! :-)
Just an ordinary bakery really....lots of cakes, some very ...erm..vibrantly-iced cookies, sandwiches and so on and so... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Niantic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A little seaside town....with BOOKS!!!"
- "Sun and Fun in Niantic"
- "weekendwino2's new Niantic Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niantic
- Restaurants in Niantic
- Shopping in Niantic
- Warnings and Dangers in Niantic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niantic
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (839)
Have you been to Niantic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niantic
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 328 photos, 13 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 259 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 44 reviews, 253 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination York Intro, 59 reviews, 197 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 13 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues