"Only a flying (well, driving) visit..." Guilford by leics
Guilford Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 20 photos
I'm not going to pretend I explored Guilford in any way, shape or form.
I drove there from New Haven, stopped for a coffee and a cake (very nice) and drove back again. The purpose of my visit was simply my first driving experience on the 'wrong' side and in an automatic vehicle.
But from what I saw of Guilford it seems to be a very pretty place, with a large central green and lots of wooden (clapboard?) houses surrounding it. An artistic community, possibly, judging by the exhibitions in the cafe we used and by the numerous business cards and flyers dotted about.
It also felt like a pretty wealthy spot, something I've since confirmed by research..apparently it was one of the top 100 places to live in the 2005 Money magazine listings. Certainly there are plenty of manicured lawns and large houses.
Guilford was first settled in 1639, and has five 'historic house' museums...apparently the town has the third largest collection of historic buildings in New England. But I didn't see any of them this time: a return visit is definitely called-for!
leics' Related Pages
Guilford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Only a flying (well, driving) visit..."
- "A Town with a Great Farm Market"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guilford
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (667)
Have you been to Guilford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guilford
Photos in GuilfordSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues