"Only a flying (well, driving) visit..." Guilford by leics

Guilford Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 24 photos

I'm not going to pretend I explored Guilford in any way, shape or form.

I drove there from New Haven, stopped for a coffee and a cake (very nice) and drove back again. The purpose of my visit was simply my first driving experience on the 'wrong' side and in an automatic vehicle.

But from what I saw of Guilford it seems to be a very pretty place, with a large central green and lots of wooden (clapboard?) houses surrounding it. An artistic community, possibly, judging by the exhibitions in the cafe we used and by the numerous business cards and flyers dotted about.

It also felt like a pretty wealthy spot, something I've since confirmed by research..apparently it was one of the top 100 places to live in the 2005 Money magazine listings. Certainly there are plenty of manicured lawns and large houses.

Guilford was first settled in 1639, and has five 'historic house' museums...apparently the town has the third largest collection of historic buildings in New England. But I didn't see any of them this time: a return visit is definitely called-for!

The town green.

Didn't try this place...it was too hot for chocolate...but next time, definitely! :-)

• Last visit to Guilford: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2011

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Sometimes, being in the States feels like having transported yourself only halfway to somewhere else - because of so many familiar place names!

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I know driving gives you so many more options in the States - these little places are almost impossible to get to without your own car.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Mar 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Yes, they are indeed. Must be very, very hard if you can't afford one.... :-(

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2011 at 4:17 AM

The wife of my 10th paternal Grandfather died here in 1668 (he died in Hartford) and my 9th and 8th Grandfathers were born here. :)

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Guilford

Have you been to Guilford?

Latest Activity in Guilford