"Only a flying (well, driving) visit..." Guilford by leics
Guilford Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 24 photos
I'm not going to pretend I explored Guilford in any way, shape or form.
I drove there from New Haven, stopped for a coffee and a cake (very nice) and drove back again. The purpose of my visit was simply my first driving experience on the 'wrong' side and in an automatic vehicle.
But from what I saw of Guilford it seems to be a very pretty place, with a large central green and lots of wooden (clapboard?) houses surrounding it. An artistic community, possibly, judging by the exhibitions in the cafe we used and by the numerous business cards and flyers dotted about.
It also felt like a pretty wealthy spot, something I've since confirmed by research..apparently it was one of the top 100 places to live in the 2005 Money magazine listings. Certainly there are plenty of manicured lawns and large houses.
Guilford was first settled in 1639, and has five 'historic house' museums...apparently the town has the third largest collection of historic buildings in New England. But I didn't see any of them this time: a return visit is definitely called-for!
leics' Related Pages
Guilford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Only a flying (well, driving) visit..."
- "Another Charming Connecticut Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guilford
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (840)
Have you been to Guilford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guilford
Photos in GuilfordSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 328 photos, 13 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 259 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 44 reviews, 253 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 13 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues