"Skocjan caves: just...........wow!" Skocjan by leics
Skocjan Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 41 photos
Skocjan is a tiny hamlet within Skocjan Regional Park. And the reason people go there is to visit the most wonderfully beautiful cave system, created by the River Reka as it flow underground ('reka' means river, so it's the 'river river' in English) over millions of years.
The cave system is 5800m long, and takes around an hour and a half to visit. Passages lead into enormous natural chambers, with wonderful colours and stalagmites/stalactites in all shapes and sizes. It is, simply, indescribably awesome.
Although maps were drawn up in the 16th centruy, the caves were first properly explored in the nineteenth/ electricity came in 1959, then in 1986 UNESCO made them a World Heritage Site (not surprisingly).
The oldest and largest stalagmite is 250 000 years old, and still growing. You cross a bridge 45m above the river at one point; it was low when I went but seeing the waters in full flow must be an amazing sight.
Phortographs are not allowed inside the system, as flash would disturb the ecosystem (there are bats, and the 'human fish' found at (Postonja caves is also found here, albeit at a deeper level). But it''s such a wonderful experience the mental photographs will stay with me forever.
There's a small museum and an educational trail around the immediate area too, though I had time to do neither.
This link has lots more information.
Definitely not a place to miss!
The Reka emerging into the light.
The tininess of the people in the photo should help give you a sense of scale: the enormity of it all is part of the awe.
- Pros:Superb cave system
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Superb cave system
leics' Related Pages
Skocjan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful caves of Skocjan"
- "Škocjan Cave - a wonderful underground world"
- "Skocjan caves: just...........wow!"
- "IMPREXXION: SKOCJAN CAVES"
- "SKOCJAN CAVE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Skocjan
- Transportation in Skocjan
- Warnings and Dangers in Skocjan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Skocjan
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (627)
Have you been to Skocjan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Skocjan
Photos in SkocjanSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues