"A little wander round Maribor....." Maribor by leics

Maribor Travel Guide: 364 reviews and 916 photos

A hot and sultry day (with roaring thunderstorms to follow that evening, lighting up the journey back to Ljubljana with flashes of vivid white and blue), so less energy than usual for exploring. But it matters not, for I am sure I will return.

Maribor is Slovenia's second city, with a university and a long history. The break-up of the Yugoslavian federation in the early 1990's caused some hardship here, with unemployment and hardship, but the city is now revitalised and moving forward (as evidenced by the new Europark shopping ventre on its outskirts).

The River Drava flows through Maribor, its north bank being where the 'Lent' district lies; site of the 'world's oldest vine' and of the Lent festival, which takes place at the end of June (music, dance, street theatre etc).

There are some elegant fin-de-siecle buildings around, some still in need of renovation but many restored to their former glory. And some lovely Renaissance builgings too, around Glavni Trg.

I didn't have time to go into any of the churches, or to explore the town centre more fully. Nevertheless, I think Maribor is worth at least a short visit. It would certainly make a good base for exploring the Pohorje Massif and surrounding vineyards and wine-roads.

• Pros:History, architecture
  • Cons:None that I came across
  • In a nutshell:Worth exploring
  • Last visit to Maribor: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 28, 2011

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I love Slovenia, but never been to this part of the country. Looks just as charming as ever though.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2011 at 6:32 AM

I just found your Maribor page.(I'm still trying to find my way in the new VT layout). As always, it's a very useful page. Thank you.I hope to have a coffee on the square, or will it be too cold? I'll find out.

• Max.yoghi's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Hallo! infact they are thinking to remove it, but it is to much expensive so... i think it will stay...

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2010 at 1:27 AM

I also went in August ('09) and it was very hot; Maribor is another hidden jewel in Slovenia

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2007 at 7:26 AM

Looks a lovely, traditional place. What is that ww2 memorial?

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Maribor

Have you been to Maribor?

Latest Activity in Maribor