Amsterdam Warnings Or Dangers Tips by leics
Amsterdam Warnings and Dangers: 490 reviews and 299 photos
11am February, temperature about -3.
You may have heard that queues can be very long indeed.
It is absolutely true. This is a very major 'attraction' indeed, a must-see for most people who visit Amsterdam and an absolute certainty for the many tour groups and school groups.
I was there by 8:40 in mid-February, in temperatures well below freezing (about -6). I was about tenth in the queue and there was also a tour group of 20+ people in front of me.
By midday...still well below freezing....the queue stretched rather a long way (see photo).
Don't think that visiting later in the day will mean a shorter queue. On my April visit, passing by at 7pm (the house closes at 9 or 10pm) the queue was just as long as in the photo above.
It really is best to there very early indeed, as I did, or book your tickets online (see website).
Flying into Schipol
Schipol is a lovely airport, no doubt of that. But it has some oddities of organisation which may well cause you problems.
Gates H are where some budget airlines from the UK arrive and depart. I nearly missed my flight because of the way Schipol organises access to these gates, so beware.
You are told (by the screens) to wait in departure lounge 3 until your gate is posted (around 40 minutes before departure). Fair enough.
But when the gate is posted, you then have to pass through security.....and there were long queues, because several flights were departing H gates at much the same time. And then the furthest gate is another 5-10 minutes away.
By the time I got through security my flight was closing. I had to run (and the people who were behind me in the security queue had to run even faster). I did not like that at all. The businessman I sat next to on the plane had learned his lesson previously, when he had actually missed his flight simply because of the security queues.
So this is my tip: either go to the small cafe area right next to security and get smartly into the queue when the gate is announced or go through security and hover around the other side (no facilities).
Whatever you do, do not do as you are told! Do *not* wait in departure lounge 3 (unless you actually want to a) panic and b) have to run.
And, from my most recent visit to Schiphol:
If you are changing planes (even with the same airline) allow plenty of time to do so. The changeover time for my flights was 40 minutes but, as I am not a citizen of a Schengen country, I suspected that would be much too tight. I chose a longer layover and I was right to do so: in order to make my second flight within 40 minutes I'd have had to run fast, not least because the security access to the second gate had pretty long queues.
On my return, security processing was at the gate itself. That took a good chunk of time as well, though at least the airline staff *know* you are on time for your flight if you are in a queue at their gate!
Schiphol is a lovely airport with lots to see and do on a layover. But the way it organises its security processing is not, imo, the best way.
More Reviews (24)
leics' Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "Dutch Arts and History."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 26 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 329 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (645)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Travel Malta Forum "Re: Malta in almost full week"
- Commented on the Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport , Amsterdam travel guide
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "No tulips.............."
- Commented on one of leics's Amsterdam travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fridge magnets about Souvenirs in Amsterdam Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Windows 2"
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (221)
- Red Light District - De Wallen- 144 Reviews, 163 Photos
- Anne Frank House- 241 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Canal Boat Tours- 189 Reviews, 307 Photos
- Sex Museum- 49 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Coffee Shops- 123 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Rijksmuseum- 210 Reviews, 350 Photos
- Heineken Brewery- 98 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Flower Market - Bloemenmarkt- 66 Reviews, 102 Photos
- Van Gogh Museum- 166 Reviews, 176 Photos
- Dam Square- 89 Reviews, 164 Photos
See All Amsterdam Things to Do