"Airport warning for H gates." Schiphol by leics
Schiphol Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 505 photos
I haven't really been to Schiphol, just to the airport.
Which is a lovely airport indeed, with super-convenient double-decker trains direct to Amsterdam Centraal (and to lots of other places too).
Lots of shops and places to eat, pleasant people, very clean, efficient luggage delivery etc.
But.......for those who are travelling from the UK on budget flights which depart from 'H' gates.......read on:
I flew with Bmibaby from East Mids, a short and perfetcly good flight with a good budget carrier. No probs.
Check-in opened a couple of hours before departure. No probs there either.
Large signs noted that passengers departing from 'H' gates should stay in departure lounge 3 until their gate number was posted 40 minutes before departure.
Large signs and departure boards kept saying the same thing. So I did what I was told, and stayed in departure lounge 3.
40 minutes before departure the gate number appeared. Two other UK-bound flights were departing at roughly the same time, from H gates.
A couple of minutes' walk brought me to H gates.....and security. And a loooong queue. Only two scanners were open (another opened 5 minutes or so later) and there were 3 planeloads of passengers trying to get through.
Not good....but it only took around 10 minutes so I thought I was ok for what turned out to be a long-ish walk to my gate.
Not so. Departure boards announced my flight was closing (and the others). Cue panicked running by numerous passengers.
I arrived at the gate out of breath to find that the flight was indeed closing (I really couldn't believe it).
I was ok in the end, as were the passengers who arrived up to around 5 minutes after me. But it made me realise that next time I need to be actually at security (or through it, although there are no facilities on the gate side) well before the flight details appear on the departue boards.
The businessman I sat next to, a regular flyer on the route, said he'd learned his lesson earlier on when he'd actually missed his flight for exactly the same reason. He now comes through security early and waits there, at the end of the pier, for the gate number to appear.
I shall do the same next time, and advise you to do so as well. Especially if you are a) incapable of running or b) have small children.
It may be that Schiphol will change this...they certainly should do so. But if they don't, do be aware of the possibility of missing your flight through Schiphol's poor arrangements rather than through any fault of your own.
- Pros:Lovely airport entirely.
- Cons:H gates!!
- In a nutshell:Super airport, but be careful of H gates.
leics' Related Pages
Schiphol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schiphol Amsterdam Airport - AMS"
- "Mainport NL, flying in (and out) at Schiphol"
- "Planes and Trains"
- "Schiphol in 1995 and 2011..."
- "An airport with green pretentions"
- "Either for hours or days..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiphol
- Hotels in Schiphol
- Transportation in Schiphol
- Nightlife in Schiphol
- Restaurants in Schiphol
- Shopping in Schiphol
- Warnings and Dangers in Schiphol
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Schiphol
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 30 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (566)
Have you been to Schiphol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiphol
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Schiphol hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel & Conference Center
- 435 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- 474 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Mercure Schiphol Terminal
- 2 Reviews & Opinions