"Quieter than most................" Top 5 Page for this destination Mellieha by leics
Mellieha Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 285 photos
At least, it was fairly quiet out of season. What Mellieha (7000 inhabitants) is like in summer I simply can't say...........full, I imagine, but with perhaps less partying and performing than some of the larger Maltese tourist 'villages' like St Paul's Bay/ Bugibba etc.
Quiet, that is, if one ignored the carols/seasonal songs loudspeakered down the main street from 9 till 7. There's a fair amount of traffic going through as well; again, I imagine there would be far more in summer.
Mellieha mostly dates from the last century, its limestone houses backing up the hill in a series of lanes and side-roads (some stepped). It has clearly existed for much, much longer (there are pre-Christian rock-tombs tucked away nearby, Neolithic 'cart-ruts' in the next valley and two shrines which have drawn pilgrims over the centuries). Its church is huge (although not particularly old) and towers over Mellieha Bay; Maltese villages seem to have competed with each other to build the largest, most prominent and ornate church.
There are bars, and expat-run 'pubs', and restaurants (one or two rather good, although several were closed for the winter), and small shops of various sorts. Down in Mellieha Bay (about 10 minutes walk, but longer coming back up the hill) there's a sandy beach, and more bars/restaurants. No doubt there are lots of watersports available in the summer, but the windy Christmas-morning beach was almost deserted.
So: if you want to go to Malta, and would prefer a slightly quieter place to stay whilst still having access to bars/restaurants etc, then Mellieha is probably a good place to go. There are regular buses, so all the island is easily accessible (once you have got the hang of the bus routes you don't have to go into and out of Valletta every time you want to go anywhere). But don't expect total peace, and don't expect prettiness (I found the latter to be in rather short supply in Malta, to be honest). Expect a village geared to meeting the needs and demands of its visitors (which is fair enough, imo).
- Pros:Some history tucked away, some good places to eat
- Cons:Traffic, crowds in season
- In a nutshell:A quieter place to stay?
Very pleasant restaurant halfway up Mellieha main street. Small, intimate, seemed to be busy most nights (a good sign:... more travel advice
Wonderful buses on Malta. Route 45 (Valletta to Cirkewwa) was most useful for us, as it was running most frequently from... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Mellieha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madonna tal-Mellieha"
- "Home for a week"
- "Quieter than most................"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mellieha
- Hotels in Mellieha
- Transportation in Mellieha
- Nightlife in Mellieha
- Restaurants in Mellieha
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mellieha
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Mellieha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mellieha
Photos in MelliehaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (215)
Latest Mellieha hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Bay
- 1095 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Maritim Hotel Antonine And Spa
- 654 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Pergola Club Hotel & Spa
- 541 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- The Riviera Resort & Spa Mellieha
- 489 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- 924 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Solana Hotel
- 703 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Luna Holiday Complex
- 400 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Panorama Hotel
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Ramla Bay Resort
- 513 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Selmun Palace Hotel Mellieha
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2010