"For the temple complex....." Xaghra by leics
Xaghra Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 18 photos
I've just noticed that I never completed my Gozo pages, hence writing this.
Malta is full of entirely unique prehistoric sites, including those at Tarxien, Mgarr and Qrendi. But Ggantija, on Gozo, is the most impressive of them all.
It's actually two temples, created from massive stones and enclosed by a boundary wall. It is set on the cliff top. facing south-east (as do all Malta's temples) with views over the sea and the rest of the island.
All Malta's prehistoric temples date from the Neolithic period, around 5000 ago and long before metal tools were used. Little is known about them although finds of animal bones on the sites suggest animal sacrifice was part of the ritual.
If you only need one reason for visiting Gozo, Ggantija is that reason.
- Pros:Vast and amazing
- Cons:Can be busy with visitors
- In a nutshell:Unique prehistoric temple complex
leics' Related Pages
Xaghra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "XAGHRA - GOZO"
- "For the temple complex....."
- "Ggantija Megalitic Temples"
- "Oldest in the world?"
- "Xaghra, MT"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xaghra
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (664)
Have you been to Xaghra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xaghra
Photos in XaghraSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues