"For the temple complex....." Xaghra by leics

Xaghra Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 20 photos

I've just noticed that I never completed my Gozo pages, hence writing this.

Malta is full of entirely unique prehistoric sites, including those at Tarxien, Mgarr and Qrendi. But Ggantija, on Gozo, is the most impressive of them all.

It's actually two temples, created from massive stones and enclosed by a boundary wall. It is set on the cliff top. facing south-east (as do all Malta's temples) with views over the sea and the rest of the island.

All Malta's prehistoric temples date from the Neolithic period, around 5000 ago and long before metal tools were used. Little is known about them although finds of animal bones on the sites suggest animal sacrifice was part of the ritual.

If you only need one reason for visiting Gozo, Ggantija is that reason.

• Pros:Vast and amazing
  • Cons:Can be busy with visitors
  • In a nutshell:Unique prehistoric temple complex
  • Last visit to Xaghra: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2016 at 8:24 AM

I'm looking forward to visit Gozo soon, and when there I will definitely visit the Ggantija temple!

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:38 AM

It is an amazing place. Try to go early when it opens, so you're not thee with loads of others. :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2016 at 1:46 AM

Fascinating! I'm wondering how you pronounce the name, with its double GG. Is it, as it looks, "gigantia"? If so, appropriate for these massive stones!

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Sortof, ish. Sort of 'dz' or 'j'igunteeya'. I believe it means 'giant's tower', which is appropriate. :-)

• ADAMYAMEY's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Most interesting. I did not know about them before.

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM

Aha...you have discovered one of my many secrets! I'm a great one for putting things in their exact, and correct, location, even if that means my pages aren't seen by so many people. I do generally link them on my country overview page though. :-))

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM

Must go back to Malta...it's been 10 years since I was last on Gozo...and now I have a decent digital camera I need to take more photos!

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Xaghra