"Bit of a trading post town........" Lenti by leics

Lenti Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos

I'm not going to pretend I explored Lenti in any depth at all.....but it was an interesting visit nevertheless.

The town is just over the border from Slovenia (and Austria), and Slovenian friends took me there for the shopping. Lenti had a reputation as being an excellent place to find bargains, especially in clothing.

It seems Lenti experienced a bit of a retail boom in the recent past, because clothes in particular were cheaper there and there was a much wider choice.So a weekend trip over the border for shopping was and still is a common activity (there are organised buses too).

But in 2011 we felt the recession was hitting Lenti. My friend had not visited for several years,and she felt that the choice, the quality and the prices had all deteriorated.

There are certainly plenty of shops still around, as well as a daily market (mostly clothes).

I enjoyed an hour or so exploring the shops and stalls (the majority of which accept payment in euros, at a fair exchange rate) but the fact that none of us bought anything apart from one t-shirt does speak volumes.

I would have bought some of the rather lovely (and cheap) fleece blankets and bedspreads I saw, but there was no way they would fit in my suitcase.

If you are in the area (Slovenia or Austria )and have a car, it might be worth popping over the border to see what you can find in the way of bargains. There were plenty of shoes and bags as well as clothes for women, men and children.

Apart from the area around the shops I only caught the faintest glimpse of the town. I certainly saw some slab-like architecture and apartment blocks but the main shopping street was pleasant enough (I am told it has been 'done up' over the years).

I found this war memorial' (I think) near the market.

There are also thermal springs in the town, with 8 pools for those who seek 'wellness'. The spa is set in gardens which include palm trees ('offering a Mediterranean atmosphere').

Lenti also has the remains of a 12th century castle, a 17th century church, a folk museum, a forestry exhibition and a 'forest park' nearby which is famous for its displays of snowdrops.

So there is much more to do than just shopping, and I hope to return to explore more another time.

You can find some useful info about Lenti here..

I saw several Trabants too.

:-)

• Pros:Shopping opportunities
  • Cons:None that I came across.
  • In a nutshell:More than just its market....
  • Last visit to Lenti: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Well, I wouldn't mind going shopping somewhere in Hungary, our neighbouring country...

• leics's Profile Photo
      Feb 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Not sure how much of a bargain for clothing Lenti is nowa days. My Slovenian friends definitely felt that standards had dropped (and prices had risen), and I wasn't hugely impressed by what was on offer. But it's always interesting to see other places! :-)

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Lenti