"Pretty gardens........" Palmse by leics
Palmse Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 78 photos
Palmse Manor is a popular place to visit, and worth an hour or two's exploration.
Built towards the end of the 18th century for the von der Pahlen family (although there was a manor on site since at least the 16th century), it reminded me very much of some of the English country houses I've visited. at least the gardens did: the house itself is quite small, with separate 'wings' for the husband and the wife.
I was, to be honest, surprised at the size of the rooms. I would have expected a larger, more decorated style to match the flaunting of wealth indicated by the large heated palm-house, and the landscaped lakes and grounds......but perhaps fortunes improved for the family after the house was initially built.
The rooms are furnished appropriately with huge ceramic heaters in many of them. They reminded me of those I saw in Slovenian manor houses/castles...an early form of 'central heating', I suppose. I'm surprised the idea wasn't adopted in the UK, but it definitely wasn't: our aristocracy made do with roaring wood fires until late Victorian times brought the invention of water-filled radiator systems.
More interior photos in the travelogue.
The grounds are lovely (the in-house vodka distillery is now an upmarket hotel, popular for weddings etc), with lakes and woodland paths to explore.
There's a good visitor centre too (and a small transport museum). A nice place to visit.
- Pros:Very pretty place
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Manor house and gardens
I know most Europeans are well-used to storks, but they don't come to the UK. I don't know why, and I haven't been able... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Palmse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palmse Manor"
- "Pretty gardens........"
- "One of the best retored and fantastic manor houses"
- "Old Manor House"
- "Palmse, 11.05.2005"
- "A Wombat in Palmse"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Palmse
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (548)
Have you been to Palmse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palmse
Photos in PalmseSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue