"Lovely old fishing village" Altja by leics
Altja Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 54 photos
Altja is now a small place, many of its wooden buildings used as summer homes by locals.
Once, it supported three taverns: there is still one there, a popular stop-off for visitors during the summer months (both locals and tourists).
There is a village swing (and essential part of Estonian village life, it seems), and a little 'road' which runs down to the sea. There are netsheds, and rocks, and flowers and birds and good views over the bay.
The net sheds were restored in the early 1970s. Although there was some farming, the land is not particularly good and so fishing was essential to provide enough food for these small coastal settlements.
The nets were placed in the sheds overnight to dry (fishing took place not far from the shore).
I liked Altja a lot, and would have liked to spend longer wandering around. There are several good hiking trails in the area which would be good to explore.
The website of the one existing tavern, Altja Korts has some interesting ideas and info.
One thing to remember: do take the insect repellent in the summer. Boggy land means insects, and they do bite!
- Pros:Lovely landscape
- Cons:Watch out for mosquitoes in summer.
- In a nutshell:Lovely old fishing village
I noticed these all over the place, and it took me ages to work out what they were. At first I thought they were... more travel advice
Don't know why, or who, or what it is. But it is rather a good piece of carving, and very 'northern European' with its... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Altja Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely old fishing village"
- "Altja: Clouds, Water, and Rocks"
- "A Wombat in Altja"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Altja
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (643)
Have you been to Altja?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altja
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 32 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues