"Tiny tower" Kiiu by leics
Kiiu Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
A tiny castle built in 1517-19 by Baron von Tiesenhausen (wonderful name!).
It was really just a fortified base for defence against the locals: when things settled down a manor house was built instead.
The walls are incredibly thick, with a spiral staircase running up to the lookout platform. The rooms are small (but there is an indoor toilet!).
Actually, I imagine it was a really cosy place to live: the thick walls and small widows, combined with the fug created by the fireplaces in each room, must have made it feel very comfortable in cold Estonian winters (if a little cramped at times).
There is a bar/cafe on the ground floor and you can take your drinks anywhere in the tower. There is also a local liqueur at 20EEK a shot: a creamy egg-based thing, very sweet but very pleasant.
The tower was restored in the early 1990s and now serves mainly as a useful coffee-stop. Worth popping in if you are in the general area.
- Pros:Taste the liqueur!
- In a nutshell:Taste the liqueur!
leics' Related Pages
Kiiu Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kiiu
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (627)
Have you been to Kiiu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiiu
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues