"En passant........." Sagadi by leics
Sagadi Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 39 photos
I didn't stop to explore the manor house at Sagadi, another example of ne-Classical building from the 18th century.
There was a manor house here from the 15th century, but the present stone building dates from 1749. Owned by the Von Fock family, it's got the 'male wing/female wing' thing which Palmse also has: clearly husbands and wives preferred to lead largely separate lives at that time!
A local tale tells how the lake was constructed overnight as a present for the lady of the manor: horses with muffled hooves etc. Highly unlikely, of course, but a very romantic idea: imagine waking up and seeing a lake outside your window where the night before there had been only gradd and trees!
The land was nationalised in 1919, and the Von Focks moved back to Germany in 1939. After being used as a school for some time, the mansion was renovated and opened to the public.
It's a pleasant spot, and worth stopping off if you are in the vicinity.
- In a nutshell:Manor house and gardens
leics' Related Pages
Sagadi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sagadi Manor"
- "Sagadi Manor(mois)"
- "En passant........."
- "A Wombat In Sagadi Manor"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sagadi
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (627)
Have you been to Sagadi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sagadi
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues