Pendadhaktylos Range Things to Do Tips by leics
Pendadhaktylos Range Things to Do: 2 reviews and 10 photos
What once was.........
Dating back to the eleventh century, this ancient monastery lies tucked away in the Besparmak range. It's hidden in a valley with stunning views and accessed via a fairly precipitous (although surfaced) hairpin-bended road, which had a padlocked barrier barring entry when I visited in December.
The monastery was used by the Armenian community from the 14th century until 1974, when it was abandoned and, later, pretty much wrecked.
You can still see some of the beautiful tiling on floors and walls, although much has been ripped out and removed. The monastery orchards which once flowed down the valley are no longer visible, but a bitter orange tree planted by the monstery well has managed to struggle on.
The roofs are off, the walls falling down, the building decaying.....a truly sad place, but still one worth seeking out.
Directions: Take the road to the North Cyprus Herbarium (running from the Nicosia>Ercan expressway), then turn left at the junction. After about 100m park at the picnic spot and walk down to the monastery. It is signed, although not especially well.
Beautiful forests (classic Mediterrnean flora), birds, reptiles, insects (watch out for the ants..they bite!).....some paths are waymarked with painted stones/tree trunks, but getting a map is a good idea.
Watch out for flowers...mountain flora is often tiny and tucked away in sheltered places. The photos were taken in late December, so imagine how many there will be in spring!
Wear something sensible on your feet. The paths can be steep, with exposed rocky bits..slipping is very easy if you do not have good grips on your shoes/boots, and breaking and ankle would be very nasty indeed. This is especially the case after rain, or if there has been a heavy dew.
Take a phone (and water) with you. Make sure somone knows where you're going and when you expect to be back. Although the picnic grounds are popular at weekends (and the hunters come out then as well), there are no houses in the area and it is quyite possible that you will see no-one else.......so if there is a problem getting help won't be easy.
Enjoy the views and enjoy the silence.
Directions: Turn off the Kyrenia (Girne) > Famagusta (Gazimagusa) road onto the ridge roads.
leics' Related Pages
Pendadhaktylos Range Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Five fingers, forests, castles, monasteries......."
- Create a Pendadhaktylos Range Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Pendadhaktylos Range
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (632)
Have you been to Pendadhaktylos Range?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pendadhaktylos Range
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues