"A quick trip for a Croatian beer........" Cakovec by leics

Cakovec Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 98 photos

Over the border from Slovenia we went, to Cakovec for a beer and a wander round.

It was a proper border, because Croatia is not yet in the EU (let alone Schengen) so there were dour border guards checking passports (and looking faintly bemused as to why I was travelling with a Slovenian family).

My first proper land border crossing!

Cakovec has a rather good castle with substantial defensive walls enclosing a museum (sadly closed when I visited), a spacious town square and one or two interesting pieces of architecture. I liked it very much: it seemed a friendly place, and I believe it has won awards for being a particularly clean town.

Zrinski castle was first mentioned in the 13th century. In 1546 the Counts of Zrinski owned it, and it is they who added walls and fortifications (because of threats from the Ottoman Empire) as well as making many changes to the castle itself (in the Renaissance style, apparently, although I could not go inside). A notice on the wall suggested that its present appearance dates mainly from the 18th century, but I suspect that there is plenty of earlier evidence still visible, especially the walls and the structures built into them.

The castle is regarded as being the primary symbol of the town, and the museum within enclose the history of the Medmurje region.

The central part of the town is lovely: wide and open, with a fountain. It needs some trees too, I think..but the people of Cacovec have a lovely green area with shady tres aournd the castle itself (a minute or so'swalk) so maybe trees aren't really needed.

I enjoyed watching Cakovec's version of the late afternoon 'passegiata'.... parents and children and teenagers..... meeting up, or shopping, or playing ball, or simply enjoying a wander around town in the Spring sunshine.

The 'Trader's Casino' immediately caught my eye. Dating from the turn of the 20th century (1903-4) it is an extremely pretty Art Nouveau building. I'm not quite sure what a 'trader's casino' is, but since the end of the Second World War it has been a trades union building (and a public library, for a while).

I'd like to explore the town more another time.......perhaps wander the castle grounds, go into St Nicholas Church, see what other interesting architecture remeains (although a couple of earthquakes in the 18th and 19th centruies did a huge amount of damage,as did a fire in 1741, so there may not be much more to see).

If you are driving into Croatia (perhaps on your way to the coast) then I think Cakovec would make a very pleasant stop...or an overnight break.

O..and the Croatian beer (Ozujsko) was very pleasant too! :-)

• Pros:Some nice bits to investigate
  • Cons:None I came across
  • In a nutshell:Worth a wander...and a beer or two! :-)
  • Last visit to Cakovec: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2013 at 4:12 AM

It would be great to pay a visit to Croatia some day to see its wonderful gems...

• leics's Profile Photo
      Feb 17, 2013 at 4:36 AM

I must go there properly, Victor. I really should explore the Balkan countries. Maybe next year?

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I like the covered stairways on the outside of the castle. Gillybob greetings

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Have been here today with two VTers for a quick visit and some Kremshnita :-)

• katamorgana's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Wow Cakovec :-) We drive across the town twice a year on our way to the Croatian coast. On the way back we leave our last Kuna in Mercator supermarket. Bye J :-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM

it would be a lovely town to live in

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Glad that you liked the beer!Good for my bussiness:-)))Greetings Herwig

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Cakovec

Have you been to Cakovec?

Latest Activity in Cakovec