"Rather good castle........" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris by leics
Beaumaris Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 136 photos
Beaumaris is a very small town on the Menai Straits coast of Anglesey (an island which does not exist, according to VT). Actually, it's rather a nice little place with a most unusual castle.
There are loads of 'Norman' castles in Wales (as well as lots of pre-Roman hill-forts and Roman forts); they form a sort of string along the north coast in particular. Their job, apart from policing the area, was to make a very, very strong statement about English supremacy over the Welsh.
Beaumaris was the last castle to be built by Edward 1. It was started in 1295, and is almost entirely concentric and symmetrical; that is, the outer walls enclose a further set of walls and towers. It's really rather pretty when viewed from above. It had a most (some of which remains, still water-filled) and originally had a dock leading into the Menai Straits, though this no longer exists. Sadly, money ran out and it was never properly completed.
It's worth a visit; lots to explore, and stunning views over the Straits to Snowdonia and the North Welsh coast.
In fact the whole of Beaumaris beach has stunning views. It's worth going there for fish & chips of an evening, especially on a rare sunny day, just to sit and gaze over the water. It's sandy too, and boat-y, and fishing-y so there's lots to watch. Just be careful of the herring gulls; they are quite fond of a chip or two, and can become somewhat bolshy if denied!
Beaumaris is a rather upmarket place (more so than either Caernarfon or Bangor) so there are some rather special giftshops/antique shops etc and a couple of restaurants which have had very good reviews in the national press. Too expensive for me to bother with though, so can't make a personal recommendation.
It's actually on the World Heritage list, so worth exploring a bit if you get chance. One of the houses dates back to the 13th century (see photo, though the black and white decoration is a Victorian embellishment) and there are several other interesting buildings, nooks and crannies.
- Pros:Castle and coast
- Cons:Can get very busy at times
- In a nutshell:Excellent castle, pleasant town
Opposite the castle, on the main road, there are a couple of small white cottages. Local volunteers have planted and... more travel advice
The main street of Beaumaris is pretty enough, but does contain one real gem; a Medieval house. Dating from the 13th... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Beaumaris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaumaris is Not that Boring!"
- "A Great Castle Town"
- "A short return trip to Wales"
- "Rather good castle........"
- "beaumaris castle and views"
- "Beaumaris on the tranquil island of Anglesey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaumaris
- Hotels in Beaumaris
- Restaurants in Beaumaris
- Shopping in Beaumaris
- Warnings and Dangers in Beaumaris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaumaris
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (664)
Have you been to Beaumaris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaumaris
Photos in BeaumarisSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues