"Hidden jewels of Saxon architecture" Deerhurst by leics
Deerhurst Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 23 photos
Deerhurst is a tiny hamlet a few miles from Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire....so tiny, in fact, that I was entirely amazed to find it listed in the VT database.
Set amongst the flat water meadows and flood plains of the rivers Severn and Avon (which meet at Tewkesbury itself) the surrounding landscape is one of gently undulating ground, ancient pollarded willows and grassy fields bounded by hawthorn hedges.
A place of lovely, classically English 'cottages', a place which is far out of the price range of most British people......such houses do not come cheaply.
And yet.........this tiny village holds two most wondeful remnants of Saxon architecture, dating from the 7th century.
St Mary's church (main photo) seems an 'ordinary' Medieval village church. Yet it dates back to the 7th century and, most unusually, its Saxon origins can still be clearly seen.
A wonderful and evocative place, full of architectural treasures and the atmosphere of ages.
More photos in my travelogues and more detail in my tip.
And, most wonderful of all: the church was open when I visited. It's an unmissable sight, if you are in the area.
The church alone would have been wonderful enough for a tiny village....but Deerhurst has another Saxon gem tucked away.
A few yards from the church stands Odda's Chapel, dating from 1056. See my tip for more detail
- Pros:Wonderful, and very rare, Saxon buildings
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Hidden jewel of Saxon architecture
A very rare survival from Saxon times. Odda, the Earl of Hwicce and a relative of King Edward the Confessor, had a... more travel advice
Written Jan 4, 2009
St Mary's Church........Saxon wonders
Written Jan 4, 2009
More Saxon wonders.
leics' Related Pages
Deerhurst Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Deerhurst
- 2 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (566)
Have you been to Deerhurst?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deerhurst
Photos in DeerhurstSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue