"Pleasant little town........" Top 5 Page for this destination Enniskillen by leics
Enniskillen Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 161 photos
.......and really quite busy and buzzy for a grey, slightly damp and chilly Wednesday afternoon.
I'd not intended to visit Enniskillen, to be honest, but the lack of a ferry to Devenish Island meant I had a bit of time to spare.
Enniskillen lies between Upper and Lower Lough Erne, on an 'island', and has long been an important strategic point. Its castle (which I did not visit) dates from the 1600s, a re-building of an earlier castle damaged by a siege in 1594.
The town centre has one (long.....it changes its name 5 times!) main street, with Victorian and Edwardian buildings on either side, plenty of independent shops and places to eat and drink. The old Buttermarket (dating from 1835) has been converted into a craft centre, with small artisan shops set around a courtyard with a very nice central cafe.
I enjoyed wandering around, and was especially pleased to find several charity shops to investigate.
Perhaps next time I'll stay longer and explore more thoroughly.
- Pros:Some history and architecture to explore
- Cons:Do not discuss recent history.
- In a nutshell:Pleasant small town for a brief visit
Set just off the main street (and signed from there) the 1835 Buttermarket is now a craft centre, with its small artisan... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Enniskillen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fare thee well Enniskillen, ................."
- "A complete surprise"
- "Pleasant little town........"
- "Island City"
- "LAKES AND MOUNTAINS"
- "Ahh, Enniskillen, it will take your breath away..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Enniskillen
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (790)
Have you been to Enniskillen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Enniskillen
Photos in EnniskillenSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues