"Artists, artisans, artistes, tourists and visitors" Hebden Bridge by leics
Hebden Bridge Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 282 photos
When the mills closed in the late 60s/early 70s the bottom dropped out of the housing market in Hebden Bridge.
Houses could be bought for very little.
So it attracted all sorts of hippies, artists, artistes and so on......and gradually became what it is now.
Housing is very expensive nowadays, especially as it is within commuting distance of some prety big conurbations.
There are artists of all types living here: 'media' types, writers, painters, sculptors, New Agers......some in the stone 'back-to-back' terraces, some in the 'one-on-top-of-the-other houses which are set on the steep sides of the valley (at least one person has bought both houses, creating a 6-storey dwelling!).
'Hebden Water' flows through the town, passing under the old packhorse bridge in the photo above.
There are independent shops, and little cafes (organic and not)...all very pretty and very pleasing to the eye.
And wonderful walks along the wooded valleys (it's a very green place) and up onto the Pennine moorlands.
My visits were brief: fish, chips & mushy peas with the VT crowd at the Halifax meet, and a swift return visit on the Sunday morning to see what could be seen.
What could be seen on the Sunday was a tiny market, with home-made cakes/bread/preserves (the lemon curd was very good indeed) and a fascinating stallsign (see photo).
It's a place which warrants a longer visit at some point, I think. Very relaxed, very pretty. I suspect it gets pretty busy in the summer though, so maybe best to visit in autumn or spring.
- Pros:Architecture, surrounding landscape
- Cons:Can be very busy
- In a nutshell:Artists, artisans, artistes, tourists and visitors
Hebden Bridge has a regular 'flea' market on Wednesdays selling secondhand goods. On Thursdays it's an ordinary market... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Hebden Bridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hebden Bridge"
- "HEBDEN BRIDGE"
- "One of the World's Funkiest Towns-"
- "Trouser Town"
- "HEBDEN BRIDGE"
- "Artists, artisans, artistes, tourists and visitors"
- "Hebden and other views"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hebden Bridge
- Hotels in Hebden Bridge
- Transportation in Hebden Bridge
- Restaurants in Hebden Bridge
- Shopping in Hebden Bridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Hebden Bridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hebden Bridge
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (795)
Have you been to Hebden Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hebden Bridge
Photos in Hebden BridgeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 29 reviews, 163 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues