"The first 'garden city'." Letchworth by leics
Letchworth Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 83 photos
Conditions in late Victorian England were truly appalling. The slums of our industrial towns and cities resulted in high child mortality and short life spans for all.
There were people who knew this, and recognised that it had to be changed. Some of the larger employers, such as the Cadbury family, built 'model villages' for their workers; places with proper housing, gardens, green spaces, community buildings and (usually) no pubs. Bournville (now part of Birmingham), Saltaire (built by Titus Salt, now part of Bradford and a World Heritage Site) and Port Sunlight (William Lever, in Lancashire) are all model villages.
Ebenezer Howard dreamed of 'garden cities', where town and country could be combined and the city's profits would benefit ordinary people. His book was the catalyst for the concept of Letchworth. In 1903 the overall planning scheme created by architects Parker and Unwin was chosen, and Letchworth came into being.
Houses started at 150GBP, roads were planted with trees, the town was built around wide 'boulevards' with space and greenery everywhere. It continued (and continues) to grow, but the feeling of space and the easily accessible parkland (nearly 14 miles of 'Greenway' surround the town) are still there.
Like most of the 'model' communities, there were no pubs. The 'Skittles Inn' existed as a meeting place, but sold only non-alcoholic drinks. The nearest proper pub is still some way outside the town centre (although the town is not actually 'dry' anymore).
One of the nicest things about Letchworth is the variety of independently-owned shops. It's such a change to visit an English town which has something other than the same boring chainstores.
It's a very pleasant place, worth an afternoon's wander if you are in the vicinity.
One reason for visiting Letchworth is to see black squirrels...yes, black ones! You can see them in Hitchin nearby too. Although rare across the Uk, there are lots of them in the Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire area...not at all uncommon.
They are a mutation of the usual greys, a little smaller and entirely black. They don't seem to mix with the greys at all; they seem to tolerate and largely ignore each other.
It was a bit of a surprise the first time I saw one, because I didn't know they existed, but I'm quite used to it now!
- Pros:Interesting architecture and layout
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Black squirrels in a garden city
I have stayed (once) at the Broadway but, as I have family in the town, I rarely eat out. We had a coupon for their... more travel advice
There is only one hotel in Letchworth itself, and it's the Broadway. It is situated in the town centre, a minute's walk... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Letchworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The first 'garden city'."
- "Letchworth - World's First Garden City"
- "The first Garden City"
- "Letchworth Garden City"
- "Letchworth "The Worlds First Garden City""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Letchworth
- Hotels in Letchworth
- Transportation in Letchworth
- Nightlife in Letchworth
- Restaurants in Letchworth
- Shopping in Letchworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Letchworth
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (684)
Have you been to Letchworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Letchworth
Photos in LetchworthSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues