"On the Roman Fosse Way....." Moreton in the Marsh by leics
Moreton in the Marsh Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 54 photos
....although the Roman settlement was at Durn, a nearby hamlet.
Moreton-in-the-Marsh really began to develop in the 13h century, and is one of the Cotswolds market towns. That's why the main street is so wide (actually, it's more like two parallel streets with parking spaces in between): the space was needed for livestock.
Being on the Fosse Way, which runs from Cirencester to Leicester (and from there to Lincoln and York) it is hardly surprising that Moreton was also an important stopping place for stagecoaches (and, earlier, for travellers generally). Many of the older inns which line the main street were originally coaching inns...you can see the arches through which coach and horses passed. The horses would be rested, or changed, whilst the passengers refreshed themselves at the inn (or stayed the night).
Most of the older buildings along the main street date from the 17th and 18th centuries. Built in the mellow yellow local limestone, they are particularly picturesque.
Moreton is still a popular place for visitors. The weekly market (Tuesdays)draws a good crowd........it's had the right to hold a market since 1227...... and it's a popular stopping-off point for daytrips round the Cotswolds. It makes a pretty good base for anyone wishing to explore the area: not quite as pricey as some of the other towns (Stow and Broadway, for example) but still geographically convenient.
Like many such Cotswolds towns, Moreton is full of antique shops, art galleries, gift shops, high-class delicatessens and so on and so forth:the tourist trade brings in the money, and must be catered for. But there is a tiny Tesco and a tiny Co-op too, and a larger supermarket on the edge of town. this pleased me, for it shows that Moreton is still a place where people live ordinary lives rather than just a twee museum.
A pleasant enough place for an hour or so's exploring, but I did not stay much longer (having no interest whatsoever in shopping). I did have an excellent pasty at Tilly's cafe/bakery though......highly recommended!
- Pros:History, architecture
- Cons:Can be very crowded indeed in season
- In a nutshell:Architecture, history and market
They do home-made soup, and meals such as lasagne, as well as a range of sandwiches, baguettes, pasties etc. And cakes... more travel advice
This is probably the oldest building in the centre of Moreton. Dating from the 17th century it still has its curfew bell... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Moreton in the Marsh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to the heart of the Cotswolds"
- "On the Roman Fosse Way....."
- "Moreton-In-Marsh - Quaint Little England Town"
- "Moreton-in-Marsh, Cotswolds on the Train Line"
- "Moreton in Marsh"
- "Moreton-in-Marsh, Cotswolds, UK"
- "moreton in the marsh 12/03/12 & 07/04/12"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moreton in the Marsh
- Hotels in Moreton in the Marsh
- Transportation in Moreton in the Marsh
- Restaurants in Moreton in the Marsh
- Shopping in Moreton in the Marsh
- Warnings and Dangers in Moreton in the Marsh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moreton in the Marsh
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (790)
Have you been to Moreton in the Marsh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moreton in the Marsh
Photos in Moreton in the MarshSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues