"In the middle of the moor.................." Postbridge by leics
Postbridge Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 6 photos
The little village of Postbridge is slap bang in the middle of Dartmoor, astride the B3212. In fact, it's hardly a village at all, just a collection of houses, a pub/hotel, a Post Office/shop and a tourist information place.
It has, though, got a superb example of a clapper bridge, built across the East Dart river. These bridges are unique to Dartmoor, built of huge stone slabs (in the 13th and 14th centuries mostly, although there are one or two from prehistoric times). The Postbridge clapper bridge was superceded by a newer one built alongside in the 1780's.
There are several good walks beginning from Postbridge. A footpath follows the river valley up the 'lane' or 'drift' (areas where moorland was allowed to transect farmland down to settlements, so that ponies and cattle could be more easily driven down). The Ordnance Survey map shows both deserted Medieval settlements and prehistoric cairns/tombs along that path, and there are more tucked away in the Forestry Commission land over the road (access ok).
I love the stone-faced earthen banks on Dartmoor, because of the wonderful way the tree roots have grown into and merged with the stones.
I'd like to go back and explore more.
- Pros:History, countryside
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:For the clapper bridge
Walk up the path directly behind the Tourist Information centre, following the river valley. When you come to the first... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Postbridge Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Postbridge
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Postbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Postbridge
Photos in PostbridgeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues