"You'll not go short of fish & chips......." Seahouses by leics
Seahouses Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 42 photos
Seahouses is a fishing village which morphed into a classic small English seaside resort.
You'll find fish & chip shops galore, bingo, pitch-and-putt golf, children's playgrounds, amusement arcades, rock shops (rock is a traditional English seaside sweet), caravan parks and b&bs.
Not my sort of place at all, to be honest, although there are still some of the original fishing-village houses to be seen, an interesting lifeboat station with museum and a museum about Grace Darling, Victorian local heroine and a very brave girl indeed. Look her up on Wiki.
Seahouses also has a proper working harbour, and fantastic boat trips (in season) to the nearby Farne Islands. These are now uninhabited, mostly just large rocks (a few have some grass on them, and deserted buildings). They are truly superb for seeing birds close-up (thousands of them!) and grey seals......highly recommended, but don't expect a smooth ride...the sea can be pretty choppy around the Farnes at any time of year.
I've been before, and taken a brilliant boat trip. But it was still worth a brief stop on a wild and windy October afternoon, to stretch my legs and see the waves crashing against the harbour walls, and the distant shape of Bamburgh castle garding the coastline.
So these are a few images from that very brief stop.
- Pros:Coast, sandy beaches, trips to the Farne Islands
- Cons:Can be very busy in summer season
- In a nutshell:Seaside fishing village
Grace Darling was the daughter of the Keeper of the Longstone lighthouse, on the Farne Islands. In 1838 there was a... more travel advice
It's a proper harbour, with working fishing boats as well as pleasure craft. So there is almost always something going... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Seahouses Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seahouses family trip."
- "Seahouses and Northumberland Coast"
- "Seahouses, Northumberland"
- "You'll not go short of fish & chips......."
- "Base yourself here for Northumberland"
- "done the trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seahouses
- Hotels in Seahouses
- Restaurants in Seahouses
- Shopping in Seahouses
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seahouses
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (814)
Have you been to Seahouses?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seahouses
Photos in SeahousesSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 259 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 200 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 29 reviews, 163 photos, 7 travelogues