"Vale of the White Horse." Wantage by leics
Wantage Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Wantage is a really pleasant little market town in Oxfordshire (although the Vt database won't put it there.), with interesting shops.
But the main reason for visiting it is that it is in the Vale of the White Horse. Go to see the eponymous horse, probably carved into the chalky hillside during the Iron Age. As an offering to the goddess? as a tribal marker? Nobody knows.....................but it's still there.
Above it lies an Iron Age hillfort, its boundaries still clear. Originally faced with stone, and topped with wooden palisades, it must have been a formidable fortress guarding the prehistoric Ridgeway which runs nearby.
And what of Dragon Hill? Legend has it that this natural hill, levelled by man, was where St George killed the dragon. I think not..................but I can imagine trials of strength and determination taking place there, whilst the hillside was thronged with watchers.
And the horse, at the dead of night, walks down the Ridgeway to Wayland's Smithy where the greatest smith of English folk-tale waits to shoe it......................................................
Wayland's Smithy is an impressive prehistoric tomb, just off the Ridgeway.
- Pros:Prehistory near a pleasant market town
- Cons:You need a car to explore properly
- In a nutshell:Vale of the White Horse
leics' Related Pages
Wantage Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wantage
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Wantage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wantage
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues