"Half-term...................................." Top 5 Page for this destination Worcester by leics
Worcester Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 270 photos
........bored, where can I go (within reasonable driving distance) for the afternoon & take photos for VT pages?
Answer: Worcester. And yes, should have been before and yes, it's really a very pleasant place with lots to look at from an historical point of view. Probably should have stayed longer, really, but the wind was bitter (yes, it's an English May) and even those youngsters ecposing the usual amount of flesh had a slightly blue-ish tinge. So: park at the Park & Ride (v. good, see tips) then a quick-ish whizz round the middle of the city (pasty eaten on-the-hoof providing sustenance).
Thus a wander round a rather large shopping area (all the usual suspects, plus some rather unusual shops........which makes a change). A wander up New Street and Friar Street with some superb examples of half-timbered houses, then an exploration of the cathedral itself (see travelogue). The latter was as interesting as all old English cathedrals are; stuffed full of interesting tombs from the 13th century onwards, an Elgar memorial, King John (he of 'Magna Carta' fame) and Prince Arthur (the one who was married to Catherine of Aragon before Henry Vlll), lovely cloisters and a spartan, but beautiful, Chapter House. A very airy cathedral this, with a feeling of space and light which is unusual.
There are some truly horrible 60's/70's buildings, inevitably...........English planning permission then was entirely without sympathy for the environment..........and rather a lot of overt Victorian pride as demonstrated in the twiddly and imposing brick-built edifices (which do have their own charms). But it melds together, and the local people seemed happy enough with their city.
Didn't have time to visit the river, though know it's very pretty. And didn't, if truly honest, really explore the city (which stayed loyal to the Royalist cause throughout the English Civil War)...........just got a flavour of it. Interesting mix of accents; half the people seemed to have typical West Midlands/ Brummie, the other half very obviously rurally-based 'burring'.........'urbs in rure', perhaps?
A pleasant place to visit, some very interesting bits, a good base for exploring the area (the Malverns...wonderful, Stratford not too far, lots of beautiful countryside on the Welsh borders). Worth another look sometime, I think.
- Pros:Wonderful cathedral, interesting historical town
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Medieval cathedral, architecture, history and pottery!
There are lots of beautiful monuments and tombs in Worcester Cathedral (as in all English cathedrals) but it is easy to... more travel advice
The Eagle Vaults has the most wonderful art Deco tiling on the outside. The actual building is older, probably Charles... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Worcester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- " WORCESTER, WORCESTERSHIRE, UK "
- "City of Medieval Origin"
- "China, Cathedral and Canals"
- "November/December 2000 floods"
- "Historical Worcester"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Worcester
- Hotels in Worcester
- Transportation in Worcester
- Nightlife in Worcester
- Restaurants in Worcester
- Shopping in Worcester
- Warnings and Dangers in Worcester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Worcester
- 20 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (627)
Have you been to Worcester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Worcester
Photos in WorcesterSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues