"'The Fields of Athenry..............." Athenry by leics

Athenry Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 40 photos

.........is a famous, and sad, song about the famine. The fields of Athenry also contain some interesting archaeology (Bronze Age), in which I was able to have a little dig.

Baile Ath an Ri means 'the town of the ford of the king'. Its strategic position at the crossing-point of the river Clareen resulted in much Anglo-Norman building of town fortifications (which still survive).

Athenry itself is a pleasant little town, still following its Medieval street-layout and worth a few hours of anyone's time. It is unusual in that the town walls are still visible, complete with their towers (mostly ruined). The gate above is the only one left standing, probably because it was re-built in the 1600's.

Athenry priory is unusual, because it lies within the town walls (although on the other side of the river to the town itself). Built in 1241, it was a Dominican priory, later used as a university (1644) and barracks (18th century). I couldn't get inside, but it was an interesting place.

Athenry castle was built in 1250 by Meileur de Bermingham. It's a three-storey tower enclosed by defensive walls.

• Pros:History
  • Cons:None that I came across
  • In a nutshell:'The Fields of Athenry'...............
  • Last visit to Athenry: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I just listened to the song and thought I should have a look if there is a page on VT... Nice one here, it looks like a good place to visit, I love the old buildings! Thank you.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Town wall looks impressive.

• Dec 2, 2006 at 12:04 AM

Great Ireland pages J, I wish I had more photos from when we lived there when I was kid, we were always being taken off to see this or that dolmen on Geog. field trips! (but how interesting are they for a 14 year old?? :))

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Athenry

Have you been to Athenry?

Latest Activity in Athenry