"'The Fields of Athenry..............." Athenry by leics
Athenry Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 40 photos
.........is a famous, and sad, song about the famine. The fields of Athenry also contain some interesting archaeology (Bronze Age), in which I was able to have a little dig.
Baile Ath an Ri means 'the town of the ford of the king'. Its strategic position at the crossing-point of the river Clareen resulted in much Anglo-Norman building of town fortifications (which still survive).
Athenry itself is a pleasant little town, still following its Medieval street-layout and worth a few hours of anyone's time. It is unusual in that the town walls are still visible, complete with their towers (mostly ruined). The gate above is the only one left standing, probably because it was re-built in the 1600's.
Athenry priory is unusual, because it lies within the town walls (although on the other side of the river to the town itself). Built in 1241, it was a Dominican priory, later used as a university (1644) and barracks (18th century). I couldn't get inside, but it was an interesting place.
Athenry castle was built in 1250 by Meileur de Bermingham. It's a three-storey tower enclosed by defensive walls.
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:'The Fields of Athenry'...............
Pleasant pub, good reasonably-priced food (soup is home-made). Guinness good too. Smoking area outside (with heaters). more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Athenry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I promise not to sing"
- "Athenry, Co. Galway."
- "'The Fields of Athenry..............."
- "Ath na ri"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Athenry
- Hotels in Athenry
- Transportation in Athenry
- Nightlife in Athenry
- Restaurants in Athenry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Athenry
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (790)
Have you been to Athenry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Athenry
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues