"Galway." Galway by leics
Galway Travel Guide: 530 reviews and 1,010 photos
Galway, crossing-point of the river Corrib. Seized and controlled by the Norman 'De burgos' family in the thirteenth century, granted city status in 1484 by Richard lll. It was Cromwell who first referred to 'the fourteen tribes of Galway', but the Irish stuck proudly with the name.
It's very obviously an up-and-coming city, moving itself forwards as quickly as it can, part of the 'Celtic tiger' ethos perhaps? I visited on a wet Sunday morning, so probably viewed it with a somewhat jaded eye. The outskirts could be anywhere in the UK........ring road/ houses/ industrial units/ traffic.......but the city centre remains attractive.
Some interesting bits of old Galway are still there, and there are certainly more swans on the River Corrib than I have ever before seen in one place. Probably some good shops too (but they mostly weren't open). And definitely lots and lots of bars and pubs.
There's a new shopping centre, and a big re-vamp of Eyre Square roads going on at the moment (so no photos of the square itself, as it was enveloped in diggers and wire fencing).
Some of the town walls are incorporated into the Eyre Square shopping centre. I hate shopping centres (they're so sterile) but, to be fair, it's well-done. I imagine it will be heaving with people in the season, but was fairly empty on a wet Sunday morning in February!
Lynch's Castle dates from the fifteenth century, with gargoyles and carvings. It's now the Allied Irish Bank. Remarkably difficult to photograph, because the roads are narrow (albeit pedestrianised) and the building is tall.
- Pros:Buzzy city with lots of historical interest
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Buzzy city with lots of historical interest
Basically, you can't smoke in any 'workplace'. So that includes pubs, cafes and restaurants. Some pubs have set up... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Galway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A walk around Galway"
- "The Far West of Europe"
- "Galway.. City of Tribes"
- "Galway- the big little city"
- "Galway City- My favourite Irish city...so far"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galway
- Hotels in Galway
- Transportation in Galway
- Nightlife in Galway
- Restaurants in Galway
- Shopping in Galway
- Warnings and Dangers in Galway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galway
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (830)
Have you been to Galway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galway
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Now you can't say that..."
- Commented on the Galway Transportation travel guide
- updated a Galway Travel Page "Galway."
- Commented on one of RickinDutch's Galway travel pages
- Wrote a Review Smoking. about Smoking. in Galway Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Smoking."
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 69 reviews, 328 photos, 13 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 45 reviews, 259 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 44 reviews, 253 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 13 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues