"Just Ptuj, actually.............." Top 5 Page for this destination Mestna Obcina Ptuj by leics
Mestna Obcina Ptuj Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 382 photos
I really liked Ptuj (p-tooey), though we didn't visit for very long. It's the oldest city in Slovenia; lots of interesting architecture, Roman bits dotted about, a huuuuuge river and a rather fascinating castle (see travelogue). Well worth visiting, and almost certain to become far more tourist-oriented when Ryanair start flights from the UK to Maribor later this year.
The Roman settlement was called Poetivio, and was a prosperous one. Many mosaics/sculptures etc are in the Ptuj museum, and there are 6 Mithraic shrines to be visited (as well as other Roman ruins). Some of the sculptures are incorporated into the base of the city bell-tower (dating from the 16th century), and the large tombstone of Marcus Valerius Verus (dating from the 2nd century) stands just outside it.
Ptuj castle houses one of the museums, a fascinating mish-mash of musical instruments in one room, 'carnival' costumes in another, 'Turkish' portraits in yet another, armour and weapons and artworks..........
The present building dates from Medieval times, although it is certain that the hill stronghold was occupied far back into the Neolithic. The castle had many owners, including the Leslies (from the 16th - 18th century) who did much to create the present shape of the building. After the Second World War it became nationally owned.
Many of the buildings I saw as I wandered through Ptuj's narrow streets were interesting in their own right; Gothic curlicues mixed with Medieval gargoyles, a stray architectural elephant (why?), the dilapidated alongside the super-well-maintained.
Ptuj felt like a very friendly place, comfortingly small-scale yet with much of interest to explore. Very much a place I should like to re-visit, and get to know more thoroughly.
- Pros:History, architecture, Romans, atmosphere
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:The Romans were here......
If you get chance, try to visit the Mithras lll shrine on the Maribor road just outside Ptuj. Mithraism was a popular... more travel advice
Whilst the smaller Roman tombstones incorporated into the Ptuj bell-tower are fairly easy to miss, the huge one just... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Mestna Obcina Ptuj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful surprise"
- "Just Ptuj, actually.............."
- "Beautiful ol"
- "Ptuj the red roofs town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Hotels in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Transportation in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Nightlife in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Restaurants in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Shopping in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- Warnings and Dangers in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (664)
Have you been to Mestna Obcina Ptuj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mestna Obcina Ptuj
Photos in Mestna Obcina PtujSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues
- Granada Intro, 29 reviews, 142 photos, 3 travelogues