"Wonderful cathedral, lovely place........" Speyer by leics
Speyer Travel Guide: 330 reviews and 1,109 photos
I had an excellent day visiting Speyer with other VT-ers attending the Karlsruhe Euromeet. Many thanks to Ingrid for organising it so well.
There is so much more to see than I managed on our short visit......the Jewish courtyard, more churches, inside the Old Tower to name but a few places..that another, longer, visit at some point seems essential.
It's a lovely town altogether...spacious, clean, cared-for.
The cathedral is one of the largest in Germany and, more importantly from my point of view, dates from the 11th century. Construction began in 1030, and (as with UK cathedrals from that time) there are many small details to be noticed.......just my type of thing.
Take the time to explor the porch before you enter the cathedral proper; there are some fascinating carvings there. There's also a rather wonderful display of sundry relics in the St Catherine chapel: jewelled bones, and suchlike. And the massive Crypt is hugely atmospheric, giving a real feel for the cathedral in its earliest form.
More cathedral photos and information in my travelogues and tips.
Ingrid organised a special visit for us to Trinity Church, which is not usually open to the public (although tourist information may be able to advise you on tours).
It's a Lutheran church dating from the early 1700s, most beautifully decorated with painted wooden panels. I was so pleased to see that it has kept its original decoration, although the cost of doing so must be very high. A church which deserves its own travelogue.
We had a lingering lunch in a local cafe. The lingering was not entirely intentional (I think our appearance placed the young staff under some pressure), but it was a welcome respite on a hot day!
Another visit to properly explore this town is necessary:I feel I have barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer.
- Pros:Cathedral, history, clean, cared-for
- Cons:None that I came across
- In a nutshell:Wonderful cathedral, lovely place........
I think the staff were somewhat overwhelmed by the arrival of 30+ VT-ers, although they had been forewarned. So service... more travel advice
Trinity Church (Dreifaltigkeitskirche) is not open to the public except by arrangement (it has wonderful painted wooden... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Speyer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the old cathedral & a great Technical Museum"
- "Speyer – the pearl of Palatinate and Europe"
- "WELCOME TO MY SPEYER PAGE ......:-)"
- "Underrated fun"
- "Inspired by Speyer"
- "Technik Museum Speyer"
- "A VT outing to a beautiful city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Speyer
- Hotels in Speyer
- Transportation in Speyer
- Nightlife in Speyer
- Restaurants in Speyer
- Shopping in Speyer
- Warnings and Dangers in Speyer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Speyer
- 5 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (754)
Have you been to Speyer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Speyer
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 190 photos, 12 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 33 reviews, 150 photos, 6 travelogues