"Wonderful cathedral, lovely place........" Speyer by leics

Speyer Travel Guide: 330 reviews and 1,109 photos

I had an excellent day visiting Speyer with other VT-ers attending the Karlsruhe Euromeet. Many thanks to Ingrid for organising it so well.

There is so much more to see than I managed on our short visit......the Jewish courtyard, more churches, inside the Old Tower to name but a few places..that another, longer, visit at some point seems essential.

It's a lovely town altogether...spacious, clean, cared-for.

The cathedral is one of the largest in Germany and, more importantly from my point of view, dates from the 11th century. Construction began in 1030, and (as with UK cathedrals from that time) there are many small details to be noticed.......just my type of thing.

Take the time to explor the porch before you enter the cathedral proper; there are some fascinating carvings there. There's also a rather wonderful display of sundry relics in the St Catherine chapel: jewelled bones, and suchlike. And the massive Crypt is hugely atmospheric, giving a real feel for the cathedral in its earliest form.

More cathedral photos and information in my travelogues and tips.

Ingrid organised a special visit for us to Trinity Church, which is not usually open to the public (although tourist information may be able to advise you on tours).

It's a Lutheran church dating from the early 1700s, most beautifully decorated with painted wooden panels. I was so pleased to see that it has kept its original decoration, although the cost of doing so must be very high. A church which deserves its own travelogue.

We had a lingering lunch in a local cafe. The lingering was not entirely intentional (I think our appearance placed the young staff under some pressure), but it was a welcome respite on a hot day!

Another visit to properly explore this town is necessary:I feel I have barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer.

• Pros:Cathedral, history, clean, cared-for
  • Cons:None that I came across
  • In a nutshell:Wonderful cathedral, lovely place........
  • Last visit to Speyer: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Interesting we'll visit in December

• leics's Profile Photo
      Oct 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM

It's lovely little town, Santi...you'll enjoy it. :-)

• Redang's Profile Photo
      Oct 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I'm sure I will (let alone with local-guides!

• Dec 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM

About the chisel marks on the stones... our German teacher took us there yesterday on a field trip, and he said that the chisel marks were to make plaster stick. During the Renaissance, they decided to plaster and whitewash the whole interior to try to maximize the light inside the building. They had to chip those divots in to make it rough enough for the plaster to stick. Then, later, when they removed all that white mess the damage remains. Hearing that, I was impressed that the chisel marks are so symmetrical, and not uglier than they COULD be.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM

oh it is so beautiful

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Trinity Church is my favourite church in Speyer. We were so lucky to be able to go inside. I'm glad you liked it, too.

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Speyer