Madrid Hotel Tips by leics
Madrid Hotels: 49,017 reviews and 536 photos
Hotel side view
If you want a hotel less than 5 minutes' walk from the Prado, around 5 minutes from Atocha railway station (where the airport bus arrives), the same from El Retiro, on the edge of the Huevas area which is full of bars and tapas places and restaurants, perhaps 15 minutes on foot from Plaza Mayor...and don't want to pay a fortune for it...the Mora is definitely worth a look!
When I booked it I had no idea quite how convenient it would be for my wanderings (largely on foot)., so you can imagine how pleased I was to be in reception just 8 minutes or so after getting off the airport bus (I needed the extra time to navigate myself!).
The Mora offers clean, comfortable rooms with good heating (it was very cold when I visited) , which suggests the air con will be equally efficient. They all have tiny balconies which are, nevertheless, big enough to stand upon. Rooms at the front overlook the busy Paseo del Prado and the botanical gardens. But they have excellent double-glazing which cuts down the traffic noise substantially...and the view of the many trees will be especially lovely when they are in leaf. Rooms at the back only have a view of the Caixa Forum, a sort of arts centre, so it's better to be at the front or the side imo. Ear plugs are always useful when visiting big cities!
My single room was reasonably-sized, with wardrobe, desk, TV, safe, free wifi and very comfortable bed (extra pillow and blanket provided). The ensuite always had plenty of hot water, although the shower was small: fine for most people but perhaps difficult for those who are very large.
There's a small lift (a tight squeeze for two people and two suitcases) but I mostly used the stairs to go down.
Staff were courteous and efficient, although I would have appreciated being told about the need to get a key for the safe from them *before* I went up to my room!
The Mora does not offer breakfast but the adjoining hotel cafe, accessed through a door in reception, was very pleasant and had very reasonable prices (coffee and a croissant at 2.50 euro, for example). It was also very busy with local people, for breakfast and at lunch and dinnertime: a very good sign, imo.
As well as the breakfast foods (tostas, churros etc etc) the cafe provides menus del dias for lunch and a range of other dishes throughout the day/evening. And alcoholic drinks, of course.
I was very pleased with this hotel. There are probably cheaper hostales in the city centre but the sheer convenience made it ideal for my stay.
Definitely worth investigating. I booked through www.booking.com
Address: Paseo del Prado 32, Madrid, 28014, Spain
Directions: From the airport bus stop, turn left. Cross the road in front of the Ministry of Agriculture building, then cross Paseo del Prado. Walk to your right: the hotel is about 3 minutes' away, just after the Caixa Forum and the vertical garden.
More Reviews (29)
leics' Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ocean Gateway Inn
- Imperial Suites
- Baoding Center Hotel
- Lahari Resorts
- Grand Seigneur
- Motel 168 Zhoujiazui
- Ramada at Arrowhead Mall
- Ruby's Resort
- The Heatherleigh Hotel
- Kismet Cave House
- Alisan Guest House
- Hotel Daniel
- Inn at the Gorge
- Blue Sky Residence Phuket
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 30 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 120 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (608)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Photos in MadridSee All Photos (128)
Read real reviews about Madrid Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (215)
Latest Madrid hotel reviews
- Florida Norte Hotel
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Tach Hotel
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Medium Cortezo
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Melia Avenida de America
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Hostal Splendid
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 30, 2011
- Chic & Basic Colors Hostal Madrid (Gayfriendly)
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2013
- NH Nacional Hotel Madrid
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Pullman Madrid Airport and Feria
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Hotel Petit Palace Arenal
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- United World International Hostel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 5, 2013
- Hotel Regente
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Asturias Hotel
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Suite Mirador De Chamartin
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- El Coloso
- 132 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- NH Paseo del Prado Madrid
- 200 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Plaza Mayor- 141 Reviews, 250 Photos
- Retiro Park- 120 Reviews, 233 Photos
- Prado Museum- 151 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Puerta del Sol- 82 Reviews, 133 Photos
- Royal Palace- 118 Reviews, 219 Photos
- Almudena Cathedral- 65 Reviews, 131 Photos
- Bullfighting- 54 Reviews, 73 Photos
- Gran Via- 44 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Reina Sofia Museum- 51 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Plaza de España- 49 Reviews, 91 Photos
See All Madrid Things to Do