"My sort of place........................" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiesole by leics

Fiesole Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 148 photos

Easily accessible from Florence (bus 7 from Piazza San Pietro/Via Pira), up in the hills, away from the crowds, Roman and Etruscan ruins. Yes, definitely very pleasant.

There's a nice church (founded 1028), worth a visit although its exterior was pretty much ruined during 19th century restorations, excellent views of Florence and the surrounding hills/ villages (though it was very overcast and chilly when I first visited) and some rather good Etruscan ruins. These are enclosed within the Museo Archeologico and include a theatre (still used, apparently), baths and temple.

I first visited in 2006, on a very chilly April day (so chilly i just had to have hot chocolate in a bar before my return to Florence!). I visited again in April 2011, on a warm and sunny day and had a lovely long walk around the pretty lanes of Fiesole, enjoying the flowers and the views.

The centre had changed quite substantially since 2006, with the piazza newly-renovated. Fiesole oozes well-off-ness, and some of the mansions one passes en route from Florence are simply enormous, with beautiful and long-established gardens.

Fiesole was much more important in Etruscan and Roman times than Florence, hence its ancient ruins. The Etruscans enclosed the town with walls of huge stones, some of which are still standing just below the museum site. The museum itself is extremely well-presented, with numerous artefacts and sculpture found locally as well as other bits and pieces (eg ancient Greek artefacts). More photos of ruins and museum pieces in the travelogue below.

There are a couple of other interesting churches, which I didn't have time to visit, places to eat in the main square and pleasant lanes to wander.

My first visit was in weather too chilly to explore very much, my second much warmer but in the company of someone who is not in the least interested in history or churches...so I'll just have to go back another time to explore a bit more! :-)

• Pros:Etruscan remains, superb views, nice place
  • Cons:Can be busy with visitors now it's been 'discovered'
  • In a nutshell:For history and views, rise above Florence.
  • Last visit to Fiesole: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2011

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Gotta visit the 1028 AD Church!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I visited Fiesole long ago, but I don't remember anything about it.

Ciao!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Hello, Jane! Thanks for your interesting page! It's always nice to read your travel pages! ><><><

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Very nice page! If I can't fit it into my schedule, at least I will have seen a bit of Fiesole thanks to you :o)

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Nice page on Fiesole. May try to go there one afternoon. Florence will keep me busy though I am sure.

• dancinbudgie's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Great page! Fesole will have to be put on my 'to go' list! Tracey

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 4:57 AM

might try and get here looks interesting - but there dosn't seem to be any icecream in fiesole

• Sep 12, 2006 at 1:58 AM

I was a bit disappointed by this. Visited last week and much of the site was cordoned off and having paid exactly the same (9 euros) to visit the Collosseum and Palatine in Rome, felt a bit short changed

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Dilaudid is a very powerful pain killer given orally or by injection. It was Elvis' favourite drug of choice...

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Fiesole

Have you been to Fiesole?

Latest Activity in Fiesole