"My sort of place........................" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiesole by leics
Fiesole Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 147 photos
Easily accessible from Florence (bus 7 from Piazza San Pietro/Via Pira), up in the hills, away from the crowds, Roman and Etruscan ruins. Yes, definitely very pleasant.
There's a nice church (founded 1028), worth a visit although its exterior was pretty much ruined during 19th century restorations, excellent views of Florence and the surrounding hills/ villages (though it was very overcast and chilly when I first visited) and some rather good Etruscan ruins. These are enclosed within the Museo Archeologico and include a theatre (still used, apparently), baths and temple.
I first visited in 2006, on a very chilly April day (so chilly i just had to have hot chocolate in a bar before my return to Florence!). I visited again in April 2011, on a warm and sunny day and had a lovely long walk around the pretty lanes of Fiesole, enjoying the flowers and the views.
The centre had changed quite substantially since 2006, with the piazza newly-renovated. Fiesole oozes well-off-ness, and some of the mansions one passes en route from Florence are simply enormous, with beautiful and long-established gardens.
Fiesole was much more important in Etruscan and Roman times than Florence, hence its ancient ruins. The Etruscans enclosed the town with walls of huge stones, some of which are still standing just below the museum site. The museum itself is extremely well-presented, with numerous artefacts and sculpture found locally as well as other bits and pieces (eg ancient Greek artefacts). More photos of ruins and museum pieces in the travelogue below.
There are a couple of other interesting churches, which I didn't have time to visit, places to eat in the main square and pleasant lanes to wander.
My first visit was in weather too chilly to explore very much, my second much warmer but in the company of someone who is not in the least interested in history or churches...so I'll just have to go back another time to explore a bit more! :-)
- Pros:Etruscan remains, superb views, nice place
- Cons:Can be busy with visitors now it's been 'discovered'
- In a nutshell:For history and views, rise above Florence.
Bus 7/7x run regularly to Fiesole, a journey of around 20 minutes. The buses now leave from near Piazza San Pietro,... more travel advice
.........well, the sign speaks for itself really. There is a hole. You might fall in. Actually, there are many holes,... more travel advice
Written Apr 22, 2006
Written Apr 23, 2006
Museum Bits & Pieces
leics' Related Pages
Fiesole Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My sort of place........................"
- "Fiesole: The Perfect Getaway"
- "Lots of history"
- "Fiesole Page"
- "Relaxing Afternoon Retreat From the Heat"
- "A Tuscan escape just minutes from Florence."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fiesole
- Hotels in Fiesole
- Transportation in Fiesole
- Nightlife in Fiesole
- Restaurants in Fiesole
- Shopping in Fiesole
- Warnings and Dangers in Fiesole
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fiesole
- 8 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (632)
Have you been to Fiesole?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fiesole
Photos in FiesoleSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues