"At the very end of Lake Como" Top 5 Page for this destination Lecco by leics
Lecco Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 170 photos
This was the stop I made on the way back to Bergamo from Varenna.
The first day of June. Weather: grey, overcast, drizzly, sufficiently windy for me to feel chilly in my t-shirt + cotton jumper + lightweight waterproof. A typical English summer's day really.....
Lecco is a working town. It's not aimed at tourists, it's aimed at the people who live there (47000+ of them). Its fame lies mainly with one Alessandro Manzoni, a famous late 18th-century/early 19th century novelist born in the town....there are trails to follow which indicate notable spots related to the novelist or his work ('The Betrothed' being the most famous, the first novel written in Italian and still [according to my guidebook] required reading in Italian schools).
The lakeside is pretty enough, with superb views of mountains and shore. The wind howling off the water meant my wanderings were fairly short, but I did appreciate the rather superb war memorial (to the dead of both World Wars).
I saw little of Lecco's history still visible, even though it's been there since Roman times. The Torre Viscontea, for example, part of Lecco's Medieval castle, is almost hidden behind newer (though still quite old) buildings.
But there were a few little alleyways to explore in the part of town surrounding Piazza Roma and just a little taste of the lakeside fishing town this must once have been.
The Basilica San Nicolo looked interesting but unfortunately preparations for a funeral were in progress so I did not go inside. It's an ancient church, dating from the 1200s, with Medieval frescoes to see. Its present bell tower (around 100 years old) is built on top of an older one...the bells from that older one were dated 1665.
There are some more Medieval walls still standing (not really accessible, although you can go down to the grassed-over moat) but little is made of them or their history even though the castle itself must have been pretty extensive.
So...Lecco...a pleasant lakeside promenade...somewhere to wander if you have an idle hour or two.... somewhere to eat perhaps (lots of restaurants).....somewhere to shop (lots of shops, many with expensive designer clothing ...perhaps you might run into Mr Clooney on one of his food-shopping jaunts?)...but other than that....
...no, not really somewhere to seek out. Just an ordinary working town which happens to be set within a stunning landscape.
- Pros:Lake and mountain views
- Cons:Not much visible history
- In a nutshell:A place for living real life rather than catering to tourists.
I was fascinated by this shop. It's actually a butcher's shop, but clearly does a roaring trade in mushrooms (dried and... more travel advice
I did find some little alleyways around Piazza Roma which gave me a taste of what Medieval Lecco might have been... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Lecco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "L E C C O"
- "At the very end of Lake Como"
- "San Pietro al Monte (Civate)"
- "Lecco - well worth a visit !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lecco
- Transportation in Lecco
- Nightlife in Lecco
- Restaurants in Lecco
- Warnings and Dangers in Lecco
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lecco
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (550)
Have you been to Lecco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lecco
Photos in LeccoSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 124 photos, 7 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 30 reviews, 128 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (196)
Latest Lecco hotel reviews
- Jolly Hotel Pontevecchio (Via Azzone Visconti )
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013