Milan Restaurant Tips by leics

Milan Restaurants: 308 reviews and 286 photos

Good value, friendly staff, full of Italians..... - Milan
City Life: Good value, friendly staff, full of Italians.....

I added the 'full of Italians' bit because I am frequently very irritated by those few who consider places like this to be 'touristy' simply because they are not hidden away in backstreets and have English on the menu.

City Life is a cafe/bar/self-service restaurant near Milan Centrale station, with seating inside and outside (undercover and with heaters when it's chilly). I stopped there for an espresso and a beer (on tap) soon after I'd checked into my hotel and was so taken with the pleasant and friendly staff and the free and very tasty aperitivi that I went back later for my evening meal.

I was feeling rough so had little appetite and thus chose a pizza vegetariana. It was huge, and very tasty, with a crisp base and plenty of vegetables. But it was far too much for me to eat. I asked if I could box up the remaining half and the staff did not blink an eye ('doggy bags' are not the norm in Europe). I was very pleased by that and gave the remaining half to a homeless man on the way back to the hotel.

From reading reviews elsewhere it seems this place is very popular not only with locals on their way to and from work but also for lunch. I wish now II'd been up to trying the self-service part, which apparently has a huge range of salads & dishes on offer, but it is as it is. I'll definitely try it next time I'm in Milan.

It's well worth seeking out this place if you want to eat near Milan Centrale.

Address: Via Vittor Pisani

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: Via Vittor Pisani leads into central Milan from Piazza Duca L'Aosta, directly in front of Milan Centrale station. City life is on the left at the start of Via Vittor Pisani.

Rating: 4

Website: http://www.cityliferistorante.it/

• Updated Oct 25, 2014
Pizza Ortolana - Milan

Pizza Ortolana

Al Vesuvio: Eat with the railway people! Al Vesuvio Review

I was desperately seeking somewhere near my hotel (near Milan Centrale). Not a vast amount of choice, to be honest.

But I came across this place and decided it would do. Actually, it was very good indeed.

Chinese-run, serving 'proper' Italian food (pizza, pasta, grilled meats etc etc), and full of Trenitalia employees having a meal before (I assume) going on duty. They were very obviously regulars, as there was much laughing and teasing and joking with the staff. Lots of other locals were eating there too.

I assume that no Italian would eat at a rubbish place, so I guess the dishes I didn't try are just as good as the pizza Ortolana (vegetarian, with grilled vegetables and cheese) that I chose. Huge, and very tasty indeed.

I had a 'birra media' (Peroni, on tap) too . And the total cost was around 8 euro.....pretty good, imo.

They do sushi as well, I believe.

It's not a fancy place; small 2-person tables are set in rows of 3, so you may well share your table with a local or several. But that's fine.

Well worth seeking out if you are in the Stazione Centrale area.

Favorite Dish: Where else can you share your meal with a load of Trenitalia employees? :-)

Address: 3 Via Schiaperelli

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: From Piazza Duca d'Aosta : Turn right (north) onto Via Fabio Filzi Continue onto Via Ponte Seveso. and on to via Schiaparelli, 3

Rrom Fermata Sondrio: Turn right (east) onto Via Tonale Turn left onto Via Ponte Seveso. Continue to via Schiaparelli, 3

Phone: +30 (0)2 66714808

Rating: 4

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
A restorative beer...and clean toilets. - Milan
Calimero: A restorative beer...and clean toilets. Calimero Review

I came across this place when I was desperate for both some liquid intake (my usual mid-wandering break for espresso and a birra piccola) and for a toilet.

It looked pleasant, if rather empty, so I went in.

There is an covered outside part (the empty bit...it was cold) and a couple of enclosed rooms.

Service was pleasant, the espresso was good, the beer also good (though from a bottle rather than from a cask). Quite a lot of local workers (business suits etc) started arriving for their lunch whilst I was there, which must be a good sign.

Most importantly, they have a clean and pleasant toilet (downstairs, but I noted there was a stairlift for disabled customers, which is very good indeed).

Open from 0930, food served from 1130 -2330.

Address: Via San Calimero, 3

Directions: Via San Calimero runs off the junction of Corso di Porta Romana, Via Santa Sofia and Via Francesco Sforza.

Phone: 02 58328353

Rating: 3

• Written Mar 20, 2011

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Milan