Milan Restaurant Tips by leics

Milan Restaurants: 307 reviews and 283 photos

Pizza Ortolana - Milan

Pizza Ortolana

Al Vesuvio: Eat with the railway people!

I was desperately seeking somewhere near my hotel (near Milan Centrale). Not a vast amount of choice, to be honest.

But I came across this place and decided it would do. Actually, it was very good indeed.

Chinese-run, serving 'proper' Italian food (pizza, pasta, grilled meats etc etc), and full of Trenitalia employees having a meal before (I assume) going on duty. They were very obviously regulars, as there was much laughing and teasing and joking with the staff. Lots of other locals were eating there too.

I assume that no Italian would eat at a rubbish place, so I guess the dishes I didn't try are just as good as the pizza Ortolana (vegetarian, with grilled vegetables and cheese) that I chose. Huge, and very tasty indeed.

I had a 'birra media' (Peroni, on tap) too . And the total cost was around 8 euro.....pretty good, imo.

They do sushi as well, I believe.

It's not a fancy place; small 2-person tables are set in rows of 3, so you may well share your table with a local or several. But that's fine.

Well worth seeking out if you are in the Stazione Centrale area.

Favorite Dish: Where else can you share your meal with a load of Trenitalia employees? :-)

Address: 3 Via Schiaperelli

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: From Piazza Duca d'Aosta : Turn right (north) onto Via Fabio Filzi Continue onto Via Ponte Seveso. and on to via Schiaparelli, 3

Rrom Fermata Sondrio: Turn right (east) onto Via Tonale Turn left onto Via Ponte Seveso. Continue to via Schiaparelli, 3

Phone: +30 (0)2 66714808

Rating: 4

Theme: Local

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
A restorative beer...and clean toilets. - Milan
Calimero: A restorative beer...and clean toilets.

I came across this place when I was desperate for both some liquid intake (my usual mid-wandering break for espresso and a birra piccola) and for a toilet.

It looked pleasant, if rather empty, so I went in.

There is an covered outside part (the empty bit...it was cold) and a couple of enclosed rooms.

Service was pleasant, the espresso was good, the beer also good (though from a bottle rather than from a cask). Quite a lot of local workers (business suits etc) started arriving for their lunch whilst I was there, which must be a good sign.

Most importantly, they have a clean and pleasant toilet (downstairs, but I noted there was a stairlift for disabled customers, which is very good indeed).

Open from 0930, food served from 1130 -2330.

Address: Via San Calimero, 3

Directions: Via San Calimero runs off the junction of Corso di Porta Romana, Via Santa Sofia and Via Francesco Sforza.

Phone: 02 58328353

Rating: 3

Theme: Local

• Written Mar 20, 2011

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Milan