Milan Restaurant Tips by leics
Milan Restaurants: 310 reviews and 289 photos
I was desperately seeking somewhere near my hotel (in a side-street near Milan Centrale) and, to be honest, not finding a great deal to tempt me nearby.
But I came across this place and decided it would do. And it turned out to be very good indeed.
It is Chinese-run, serves 'proper' Italian food (pizza, pasta, grilled meats etc etc), and was full of Trenitalia employees having a meal before (I assume) going on duty. They were very obviously regulars, as there was much laughing and teasing and joking with the staff. Lots of other locals were eating there too.
I assume that no Italian would eat at a rubbish place, so I imagine the dishes I didn't try are just as good as the pizza Ortolana (vegetarian, with grilled vegetables and cheese) that I chose. It was huge, and very tasty indeed.
I had a 'birra media' (Peroni, on tap) too and the total cost was around 8 euro.....pretty good, imo.
They do sushi as well, surprisingly.
It's not a fancy place. Small 2-person tables are set in rows of 3, so you will almost certainly share your table with a local or several locals. But that's fine by me.
Well worth seeking out if you are in the Stazione Centrale area.
Favorite Dish: Where else can you share your meal with a load of Trenitalia employees? :-)
Address: 3 Via Schiaperelli
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: From Piazza Duca d'Aosta : Turn right (north) onto Via Fabio Filzi Continue onto Via Ponte Seveso. and on to via Schiaparelli, 3
Rrom Fermata Sondrio: Turn right (east) onto Via Tonale Turn left onto Via Ponte Seveso. Continue to via Schiaparelli, 3
Phone: +30 (0)2 66714808
I added the 'full of Italians' bit because I am frequently very irritated by those few who consider places like this to be 'touristy' simply because they are not hidden away in backstreets and have English on the menu.
City Life is a cafe/bar/self-service restaurant near Milan Centrale station, with seating inside and outside (undercover and with heaters when it's chilly). I stopped there for an espresso and a beer (on tap) soon after I'd checked into my hotel and was so taken with the pleasant and friendly staff and the free and very tasty aperitivi that I went back later for my evening meal.
I was feeling rough so had little appetite and thus chose a pizza vegetariana. It was huge, and very tasty, with a crisp base and plenty of vegetables. But it was far too much for me to eat. I asked if I could box up the remaining half and the staff did not blink an eye ('doggy bags' are not the norm in Europe). I was very pleased by that and gave the remaining half to a homeless man on the way back to the hotel.
From reading reviews elsewhere it seems this place is very popular not only with locals on their way to and from work but also for lunch. I wish now II'd been up to trying the self-service part, which apparently has a huge range of salads & dishes on offer, but it is as it is. I'll definitely try it next time I'm in Milan.
It's well worth seeking out this place if you want to eat near Milan Centrale.
Address: Via Vittor Pisani
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Via Vittor Pisani leads into central Milan from Piazza Duca L'Aosta, directly in front of Milan Centrale station. City life is on the left at the start of Via Vittor Pisani.
I came across this place when I was desperate for both some liquid intake (my usual mid-wandering break for espresso and a birra piccola) and for a toilet.
It looked pleasant, if rather empty, so I went in.
There is an covered outside part (the empty bit...it was cold) and a couple of enclosed rooms.
Service was pleasant, the espresso was good, the beer also good (though from a bottle rather than from a cask). Quite a lot of local workers (business suits etc) started arriving for their lunch whilst I was there, which must be a good sign.
Most importantly, they have a clean and pleasant toilet (downstairs, but I noted there was a stairlift for disabled customers, which is very good indeed).
Open from 0930, food served from 1130 -2330.
Address: Via San Calimero, 3
Directions: Via San Calimero runs off the junction of Corso di Porta Romana, Via Santa Sofia and Via Francesco Sforza.
Phone: 02 58328353
More Reviews (23)
- See All Milan Malpensa airport
- See All Don't be scared: 2014 update
- See All Very pleasant, very clean, very...
leics' Related Pages
Milan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MILAN - As I've always wanted to visit"
- "Home sweet home!"
- "La Dolce Vita In Milano ;-)"
- "Milan - surprising and fascinating"
- "Visconti? Sforza? Leonardo? Just Milan!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milan
- Hotels in Milan
- Transportation in Milan
- Nightlife in Milan
- Restaurants in Milan
- Shopping in Milan
- Warnings and Dangers in Milan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milan
- 26 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 402 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (801)
Have you been to Milan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milan
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of leics's Milan tips
- Wrote a Review Milan Malpensa airport about Airports in Milan Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Milan Malpensa airport"
- updated a Milan Travel Page "Why Milan?"
- Commented on the Demidoff Hotel, Milan travel guide
Photos in MilanSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 38 reviews, 231 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 200 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 43 reviews, 176 photos
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 33 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 29 reviews, 163 photos, 7 travelogues
- Duomo - Cathedral- 196 Reviews, 439 Photos
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II- 108 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Castello Sforzesco- 104 Reviews, 241 Photos
- Theater alla Scala- 57 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Cenacolo - Last Supper- 48 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Naviglio Grande- 15 Reviews, 36 Photos
- San Siro Stadium- 24 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Day Trip to Como- 13 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Shopping or Fashion District - CLOSED- 31 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Church Sant' Ambrogio- 30 Reviews, 100 Photos
See All Milan Things to Do