"Visit Ostia if you possibly can!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by leics

Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 254 photos

You can use your BIG ticket to get to Ostia from Rome easily. Take the Metro to Pyramide, go up the escalator and turn left into the station for Roma-Lido. The trains are frequent, and take about 30 minutes. Simply walk straight out of Ostia station and you will come to the excavation site.

Ostia is huge....allow at least 3 to 5 hours for your visit. You still won't see it all. There is a cafe, but I like to take a picnic lunch. The size of the place ensures that visitors spread out (even school parties!) and so it's possible to find a quiet spot to imagine yourself back in the bustling Roman port.

The most interesting part, for me, are the tiny glimpses of everyday life which appear around every corner. The mosaic in the picture, for example, appears on the floor of a gatehouse which was turned into a tavern. Alexander and Helix were both athletes and I can imagine the 'locals' supporting them in much the same way as pub regulars support football teams today.

• Pros:Well-preserved and uncrowded.
  • Cons:Explanatory notices are few and far between.
  • In a nutshell:A real insight into ordinary Roman life.
  • Last visit to Ostia Antica: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Great page on Ostia, we plan to visit Rome next year and heard this was an excellent day trip.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for your presentation of this historical place....

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I have wanted to see this since I was in school thanks for the encouragement.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM

With your background in digging around, did you want to contribute to make a find? This is on my list to see when in Rome. Thanks for the pics

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2009 at 4:40 AM

Ahh. I didn't know there was a seperate listing for Ostia. I thought it was simply listed as an extension under Rome. It started out pleasant enough, but eventually got busy with tour groups (mainly French and German) and school groups.

• nyperose's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 7:39 AM

Nice detailed information about Ostia:-D I did not have time to go there when I was in Rome, but'll go there next time! It's sounds so easy!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2008 at 3:39 AM

Oh yes, Ostia is on my wishlist!!! This tilework is exceptional, it also amazed me in the old places in Umbria! But the imagination of black scorpions... eeks...

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Ostia is definitely on our list! Thanks for your forum reply. leyle

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 12:43 PM

OK, now I have to go back to Ostia and look for this stuff..... Grazie, Carol

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 11:36 PM

Ostia is amazing. Luckily I made the effort to go the day before I left Rome, and even better met a British couple who let me join them. We spent 6 hours and only saw half of it-and my camera packed up.... So, nice to see things I missed on your page.

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica

Have you been to Ostia Antica?

Latest Activity in Ostia Antica