"Visit Ostia if you possibly can!" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by leics
Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 254 photos
You can use your BIG ticket to get to Ostia from Rome easily. Take the Metro to Pyramide, go up the escalator and turn left into the station for Roma-Lido. The trains are frequent, and take about 30 minutes. Simply walk straight out of Ostia station and you will come to the excavation site.
Ostia is huge....allow at least 3 to 5 hours for your visit. You still won't see it all. There is a cafe, but I like to take a picnic lunch. The size of the place ensures that visitors spread out (even school parties!) and so it's possible to find a quiet spot to imagine yourself back in the bustling Roman port.
The most interesting part, for me, are the tiny glimpses of everyday life which appear around every corner. The mosaic in the picture, for example, appears on the floor of a gatehouse which was turned into a tavern. Alexander and Helix were both athletes and I can imagine the 'locals' supporting them in much the same way as pub regulars support football teams today.
- Pros:Well-preserved and uncrowded.
- Cons:Explanatory notices are few and far between.
- In a nutshell:A real insight into ordinary Roman life.
Go off the main paths and explore the houses, gardens and courtyards. You may be surprised at what you find. This... more travel advice
The Imperial Palce is quite a walk from the main part of the site, by the riverside, but it's worth seeing.......the... more travel advice
leics' Related Pages
Ostia Antica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- "Better than Pompeii?"
- "HALF DAY ON OSTIA ANTICA"
- "Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination"
- "Visit Ostia if you possibly can!"
- "Antic Rome's port"
- "Ostia Antica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostia Antica
- Hotels in Ostia Antica
- Transportation in Ostia Antica
- Restaurants in Ostia Antica
- Shopping in Ostia Antica
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostia Antica
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (620)
Have you been to Ostia Antica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia Antica
Photos in Ostia AnticaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 234 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 36 reviews, 200 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 10 travelogues
- Riga Intro, 31 reviews, 170 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 44 reviews, 155 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 62 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amsterdam Intro, 26 reviews, 137 photos, 7 travelogues